Kinetic energy of a hallow sphere

In summary, a hollow sphere or radius 0.15m with rotational inertia=0.04 about a line through its centre of mass,rolls without slipping up a surface inclined 30 degree to the horizontal. At a certain initial position, the sphere's total kinetic energy is 20J. How much of this initial kinetic energy is rotational? However, I cannot do the math to find out. Please show me the equation you use to calculate rotational kinetic energy about a point where V=0 m/s.
teng125
a hollow sphere or radius 0.15m with rotational inertia=0.04 about a line throughits centre of mass,rolls withoutslipping up a surface inclined 30 degree to the horizontal.at a cwrtain initial position,the sphere's total kinetic energy is 20J.
how much of this initial kinetic energy is rotational.
pls help.i can't do it

Physics news on Phys.org
A hollow sphere or radius 0.15m with rotational inertia=0.04 about a line through its centre of mass,rolls without slipping up a surface inclined
30 degree to the horizontal. At a certain initial position, the sphere's total kinetic energy is 20J.

how much of this initial kinetic energy is rotational??

pls help.i can't do it

teng125 said:
A hollow sphere or radius 0.15m with rotational inertia=0.04 about a line through its centre of mass,rolls without slipping up a surface inclined
30 degree to the horizontal. At a certain initial position, the sphere's total kinetic energy is 20J.

how much of this initial kinetic energy is rotational??

pls help.i can't do it

[tex] K_{tot}=K_{lin} + K_{rot} [/tex]

Since you have rolling without slipping (I would assume) then [tex] v = R \omega [/tex].

-Dan

then, 0.5m(r^2)(w^2) + 0.5 I (w^2) =20J
from here,i don't have the w and m
how to continue

teng125
Write the equation of rotational kinetic energy about a point where V = 0 m/s. By doing so you can solve for omega.

for v=0?? so, is it just the rotatioanl energy only and without 1/2 (mv^2)??

Yes, V=0 m/s is at the point where the sphere touches the surphase. You would have to recalculate moment of inertia at that point and solve for omega. Then use the omega in your first equation to solve for rotational kinetik energy.

what u mean again is it 1/2 (2/5) m (r^2) (w^2) = 20J??
but i don't have the mass

pls help

still can't do.pls show me the eqn on how u do it
thanx

Nevermind about finding rotational kinetic energy about a point where V=0 m/s.

Here is another approach.
[tex] I_{c} = 2/3MR^2\ kg*m^2 [/tex]
Where [tex] I_{c} = 0.04\ kg*m^2[/tex]
Using this equation you can solve for the mass of the sphere.

Last edited:
i got 9.51 J but the answer is 8 J

I got 8 J, check your math.

for m = 2.67kg
then 1/2m(v^2) + 2/5I(w^2) =20 then w= 21.81

then how to continue??

Plug m=(3/2)*Ic/R^2 in 1/2m(w^2)(R^2) + (1/2)I(w^2) =20
You will get w^2 = 16/Ic where Ic=0.04 kg*m^2
Solve for w (20 rad/s)
Plug w in Kr = (1/2)*Ic*w^2

Last edited:
why is the moment of inertia changes from 2/3(mr^2) to 2/5(mr^2) ??

It did not Ic = 2/3(mr^2)
I copied this equation from your message 1/2m(w^2)(R^2) + (2/5)I(w^2) =20. It should be 1/2m(w^2)(r^2) + 1/2Ic(w^2) = 20

oh...okok

1. What is kinetic energy of a hallow sphere?

The kinetic energy of a hallow sphere is the energy that it possesses due to its motion. It is a type of mechanical energy that is dependent on the mass and velocity of the sphere.

2. How is kinetic energy of a hallow sphere calculated?

The formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a hallow sphere is 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and v is its velocity.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a hallow sphere?

The kinetic energy of a hallow sphere is affected by its mass and velocity. The greater the mass and velocity of the sphere, the greater its kinetic energy will be.

4. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and speed for a hallow sphere?

The kinetic energy of a hallow sphere is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the speed of the sphere increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

5. Can the kinetic energy of a hallow sphere be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a hallow sphere can be converted into other forms of energy such as heat, sound, and light. This conversion occurs when the sphere collides with another object or surface, causing its kinetic energy to transfer to the other object.