Kinetic energy of a rigid body

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Landau&Lifgarbagez's book on classical mechanics, where an inhomogeneous cylinder of radius R rolls over a plane. The center of mass is at a distance "a" from the rotational axis, and the moment of inertia about the rotational axis is I. The conversation also mentions the equations for calculating kinetic energy and the attempt at solving the problem. However, there is a missing consideration for the translational motion and it is suggested to refer to the book for a solution.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I think the problem was taken out from Landau&Lifgarbagez's book on classical mechanics.
An inhomogeneous cylinder of radius R rolls over a plane. The mass is distributed in such a way that a principal axis is parallel to the rotational axis of the cylinder and the center of mass is at a distance "a" from the rotational axis. The moment of inertia of the cylinder about the rotational axis is I. Calculate the kinetic energy of the cylinder.

Homework Equations

[itex]T=\frac{m v_{CM} ^2}{2}+ \frac{I \omega _c ^2 }{2}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

The center of mass suffer from a circular motion of radius a and angular velocity [itex]\omega _c[/itex].
So that [itex]v_{CM}=a \omega _c[/itex] and thus [itex]T=\frac{\omega ^2 _c }{2} (ma^2 + I)[/itex].
This seems wrong to me because when a tends to 0, my kinetic energy equality tells me that there's only a rotational motion and no translational motion from the center of mass, which I believe it totally wrong.
I don't see what I did wrong though... I'd love some help to figure out what's wrong with what I did. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rolling means both translational and rotational motion. The centre of symmetry performs translation with velocity Vc. All points of the cylinder translate with Vc and rotate around the axis of symmetry with angular frequency equal Vc/R. The velocity of a point is the resultant of the translation and rotation.

This is not a simple problem...

ehild

You are absolutely right, I forgot about considering the translational motion.
If I consider rolling without slipping, I get that v of translation is worth [itex]-\omega _c R[/itex].
Thus [itex]T=\frac{\omega ^2 _c}{2} (ma^2+R^2+I)[/itex]. Is there something I'm missing?

this can't be solved like this...the velocity of cm keeps on changing during motion

the question should give the information of initial position of cm

I suggest to read Landau&Lifgarbagez's book on classical mechanics.
The problem is presented and solved in that book. The motion of the cylinder is considered pure rotation about the instantaneously fixed axis (the line where the cylinder touches the ground).

ehild

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in joules (J).

How is kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

What is the difference between translational and rotational kinetic energy?

Translational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its linear motion, while rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. Both are types of kinetic energy and can be calculated using the same formula, but they represent different types of motion.

Can kinetic energy be negative?

No, kinetic energy cannot be negative. It is always a positive quantity as it represents the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How does the mass and velocity of a rigid body affect its kinetic energy?

The kinetic energy of a rigid body is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity. This means that an increase in mass or velocity will result in a higher kinetic energy, while a decrease in mass or velocity will result in a lower kinetic energy.