Kinetic energy of a rolling sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rolling without slipping and how it affects the velocity and kinetic energy of a sphere. The nonslip condition is defined and compared to a slipping condition, with an example of a car's wheels skidding. It is noted that the velocity at the center of mass can vary depending on the situation.
kayron

Homework Statement

A sphere of mass 50gm and radius 10cm rolls without slipping with a velocity of 5cm/s.
Its total kinetic energy in ergs is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Total kinetic energy = linear KE + rotational KE.

ok i got the answer. thank you.

i have a question though, i want to know what the question means when it says that the sphere rolls without slipping??

When an object rolls without slipping, it means the velocity of the center of mass is equal to the radius times angular velocity, [itex]v_{cm}=r\omega[/itex]

This is called the nonslip condition. When an object rolls with slipping, the linear velocity is not [itex]r\omega[/itex]

kayron said:
ok i got the answer. thank you.

i have a question though, i want to know what the question means when it says that the sphere rolls without slipping??

It means that the sphere where it meets the surface it's rolling on, does not slide -- the instantaneous point of contact is stationary with respect to the "ground" surface.

jhae2.718 said:
When an object rolls without slipping, it means the velocity of the center of mass is equal to the radius times angular velocity, [itex]v_{cm}=r\omega[/itex]

This is called the nonslip condition. When an object rolls with slipping, the linear velocity is not [itex]r\omega[/itex]

okay, then what would it be?

It's situation dependent. An example of a slipping condition would be the tires on your car skidding, where the wheels would both rotate and translate forward, so the [itex]r\omega[/itex] term would be less than v at the CM.

how do you know it would be less??

With that example I just made the assumption that wheels were slipping forwards; then both the rotational and translational terms would contribute to the velocity at the center of mass.

It really depends on the situation, though.

okay

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How is kinetic energy calculated for a rolling sphere?

The kinetic energy of a rolling sphere can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and v is its velocity.

Does the size of the sphere affect its kinetic energy?

Yes, the mass of the sphere directly affects its kinetic energy. The larger the mass, the greater the kinetic energy.

What factors can affect the kinetic energy of a rolling sphere?

The kinetic energy of a rolling sphere can be affected by its mass, velocity, and the surface it is rolling on.

Can the kinetic energy of a rolling sphere be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a rolling sphere can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, upon colliding with another object.