Kinetic energy of a rotating wheel?

In summary, the conversation discussed a simple wheel with a solid cylinder form, pivoting on a stationary axle and rotating at a constant angular speed. The rotational kinetic energy equation was provided as KE_{rot} = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2, and it was suggested to rewrite the equation in terms of the given variables. The correct moment of inertia for a solid wheel was also mentioned, and it was advised to convert the given revolutions per second into radians per second for the angular velocity term.
badman
A simple wheel has the form of a solid cylinder of radius r with a mass m uniformly distributed throughout its volume. The wheel is pivoted on a stationary axle through the axis of the cylinder and rotates about the axle at a constant angular speed. The wheel rotates n full revolutions in a time interval .
Express your answer in terms of m, r , n ,t and, pi .

does anyone have any pointers for me?

i do know that this formula, 1/2mr^2 can help me, but i don't know how create the right equation using the other arts given to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rotational kinetic energy is given by

[tex]KE_{rot} = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex].

Just write everything in terms of the variables you've been given.

Last edited:
this is my answer so far, but I am having a problem with the angular of velocity
1/2*m*r^2*((2*PI)/n*t)^2. can anyone point me in the right direction

It should have [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex] at the front, because you have [tex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}mr^2[/tex].

In your angular velocity, your n should be in the numerator of the fraction.

badman said:
this is my answer so far, but I am having a problem with the angular of velocity
1/2*m*r^2*((2*PI)/n*t)^2. can anyone point me in the right direction
Two problems with your answer.

You're using moment of inertia for a ring, not a solid wheel of uniform density. Technically, moment of inertia is:

[tex]I = \int_0^m r^2 dm[/tex]

Unless you have to solve the integrals, it's usually easier to look up the solution. Moment of inertia of several shapes are at Eric Weisstein's World of Physics (you need to scroll down a little to see the formulas)

Your angular velocity is measured in radians per second. You were given n revolutions in t seconds. Convert the revolutions per second:

[tex]\frac{n_- revs}{t_- sec} * \frac{2 \pi_- rad}{1_- rev} = \omega[/tex]

1. What is kinetic energy of a rotating wheel?

Kinetic energy of a rotating wheel is the energy that a wheel possesses due to its motion. It is a form of mechanical energy that depends on the mass and velocity of the wheel.

2. How is kinetic energy of a rotating wheel calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy of a rotating wheel is E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia of the wheel, and ω is the angular velocity of the wheel.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a rotating wheel?

The kinetic energy of a rotating wheel is affected by its mass, angular velocity, and moment of inertia. The larger the mass and angular velocity, the greater the kinetic energy. The moment of inertia, which depends on the distribution of mass in the wheel, also affects the kinetic energy.

4. How is kinetic energy of a rotating wheel related to its speed?

The kinetic energy of a rotating wheel is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the speed of the wheel increases, so does its kinetic energy. Conversely, if the speed decreases, the kinetic energy will also decrease.

5. What is the significance of kinetic energy of a rotating wheel?

Kinetic energy of a rotating wheel is important in many applications, such as in vehicles and machinery. It is used to determine the power and efficiency of a rotating system, and also plays a role in stability and control. Understanding and manipulating kinetic energy of a rotating wheel is crucial in designing and optimizing these systems.