1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy of a system of two atoms from a graph of their potential energy curve

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The figure shows a potential energy curve for the interaction of two neutral atoms. The two-atom system is in a vibrational state indicated by the heavy solid horizontal line.

(a) At r = r1, what are the approximate values of the kinetic energy K, the potential energy U, and the quantity K+U?
    K =
    U = -1.3 eV
    K+U =

2. Relevant equations
    U=0.5*Ks^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't for the life of me figure out how to find K, I feel like it should be really easy, but I'm at a loss of where to start.

If anyone could give me jumping off point at least I'd be very grateful. Thanks

Attached Files:

• 4-55.jpg
      4-55.jpg
      File size:
      7.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2
    Re: Kinetic energy of a system of two atoms from a graph of their potential energy cu

After taking a short break, I figured it out, and it was massively simple.
    I'll post the answer here so that anyone else Googling in the future can find it.

K=1.1
    U=-1.3
    and K+U = -0.2

since they are inversely proportional, their sum must equal the vibration state.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook