How Is Kinetic Energy Calculated at the Peak of a Baseball's Trajectory?

Since the ball is at its highest point, the vertical velocity is zero. Therefore, the kinetic energy at this point would only depend on the horizontal velocity, which is given by 113*cos11.2. So the correct equation would be KE = 1/2 (2.15 kg) (113*cos11.2)^2, which gives a value of approximately 517.821 J. In summary, the kinetic energy of a 2.15 kg baseball thrown by an outfielder at a speed of 113 m/s and an initial angle of 11.2 degrees at the highest point of its motion is 517.821 J. This can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 (2.15
kiwikahuna

Homework Statement

an outfielder throws a 2.15 kg baseball at a speed of 113 m/s and an initial angle of 11.2 degrees. What is the kinetic energy of the ball at the highest point of its motion.

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv^2

KE(initial) + PE(initial) = KE (final) + PE (final)

The Attempt at a Solution

KE = 1/2 (2.15 kg) (113* sin 11.2)^2
KE =517.866

My method seems too simple. Should I be using the conservation of energy equation and if so, how should I go about doing it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost right - have a look at you sine/cosine.

You know that you can consider the velocity components in the horizontal and vertical directions independently. What are the forces acting along each direction of the velocity components? When the ball is at its highest point, what can you say about the ball's vertical velocity? And what about the horizontal velocity?

As I say, you've almost got it right, just look at splitting the velocity into components again. :smile:

when the ball is at its highest point, the ball's vertical velocity would be zero? Should I have used: KE = 1/2 (2.15 kg) (113* cos 11.2)^2 instead?

That is correct.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying half of the object's mass by the square of its velocity.

2. How does kinetic energy apply to a baseball?

In baseball, kinetic energy is the energy that the ball possesses due to its motion as it travels through the air. This energy is responsible for the ball's speed and the impact it has when it hits an object, such as a bat or a glove.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a baseball?

The kinetic energy of a baseball is affected by its mass and its velocity. A heavier ball or a ball with a higher velocity will have a greater kinetic energy.

4. How is kinetic energy important in baseball?

Kinetic energy is important in baseball because it determines the speed and impact of the ball, which can greatly affect the outcome of a game. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the physics of the game and making improvements to equipment and techniques.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy in baseball?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy in baseball, such as potential energy when the ball is thrown into the air or sound energy when the ball hits the bat or glove. However, kinetic energy remains the dominant form of energy in the game.