1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy of gases

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1
    I'm having problems trying to figure out the most probable speed of a gas with the only givens being what gas it is and the temperature of the gas, for example, find the most probable speed of Ar at 127C. The equation is Ke = 1/2mv^2.

I know how to get the average kinetic energy, speed, and total kinetic energy. But, I'm stuck on how to get the most probable speed or energy with just these two pieces of information.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2
    I believe the equation for the average kinetic energy of a gas is [tex]\sqrt{kRT}[/tex]
    Where R is the ideal gas constant, T is temperature and k is Boltzman's constant.
  4. Oct 2, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The probability of finding atoms with speeds between v and v + dv is proportional to [itex]v^2 e^{-m v^2/{2 k_B T}}[/itex] and you can find the most probable speed by setting its derivative to 0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?