Kinetic energy of moving automobile

In summary: For question 3, your reasoning is correct. The ball hit below the horizontal will have the greatest final velocity due to its initial velocity and angle of launch. The ball hit above the horizontal will have the slowest final velocity due to its initial velocity and angle of launch.
St@rbury
suppose an atomobile has a kinetic energy of 20,000J. If it moves twice as fast, what will be its kinetic energy? three times as fast?

i think that if the velocity is 2 times as fast, then the energy will be 2times^2, and if it is 3 times as fast, then it will be 3times^2...is that correct? and what is the physics reasoning behind it because i just saw it logically

Physics news on Phys.org
also, another question

a shopping bag is hangg straight down from your hand as your walk across a horizontal floor. does the force that your hand exerts on the bag's handle do any work> does this force do any wokr while you are ruding up and elevator? does this force do any work while you are rding up and escalator? (assume in all three cases that the velocity is constant)

in the first part of it,the force is upwards, and displacement is to the side, so there is a 90 degree angle and work is done: w=FScos(theata) in the second part, force is up and so is displacement, so there is no work done b/c cos(theata)=0 in that part. and in the last part, there is some angle, so work is being done. However, it said that velocity was constant, and constant velocity=0 acceleration and acording to F=ma, there would b no force...so which is it?

and another question,

During batting practice, a baseball player hits a baseball three different times. He makes contact with the ball at the same height and the ball leaves the bat with the
same speed each time. The only difference is the angle with which the ball leaves the
bat. He first hits the ball up at an angle of 30° above the horizontal, then horizontally,
then down at a 30° angle below the horizontal. Which baseball strikes the
ground with the fastest speed? Which strikes the ground with the slowest speed?
(Air resistance is assumed negligible.)

i think that the ball hit below the horizontal would hit the ground with the greatest speed. velocity is distance over time, and the ball hit above the horizontal would have the greatest distance, and so on. however, based on the conservation of energy formula, since all of the initial info is the same, then shouldn't the final velocity b the same for all o them?

St@rbury said:
suppose an atomobile has a kinetic energy of 20,000J. If it moves twice as fast, what will be its kinetic energy? three times as fast?

i think that if the velocity is 2 times as fast, then the energy will be 2times^2, and if it is 3 times as fast, then it will be 3times^2...is that correct? and what is the physics reasoning behind it because i just saw it logically

Keep in mind the equation for kinetic energy: K=1/2mv^2

yes i know that, so is my reasoning correct?

St@rbury said:
yes i know that, so is my reasoning correct?

Your reasoning is correct. I wasn't understanding you at first.

ok nice...what about the other problems?

St@rbury said:
ok nice...what about the other problems?

In the future, please post separate questions under separate topics. Otherwise, the responses are going to read like the litany of saints.

For question 2, you've got your cos thetas mixed; cos theta is 1 and cos 90 is 0. Regarding net work at constant velocity, yes, it is zero, but does this mean the work done by your hand is 0?

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the moving object and v is its velocity.

3. How does kinetic energy relate to an automobile?

The kinetic energy of a moving automobile is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity. This means that a heavier car moving at a faster speed will have more kinetic energy than a lighter car moving at a slower speed.

4. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy, heat, or sound. When a car brakes, the kinetic energy is converted into heat energy due to the friction between the brakes and the wheels.

5. How does kinetic energy affect the stopping distance of a car?

The kinetic energy of a moving car is directly related to its momentum, which is the product of its mass and velocity. The greater the kinetic energy, the greater the momentum, and therefore, the longer the stopping distance will be. This is why it is important for cars to maintain a safe speed and to have working brakes to reduce their kinetic energy and momentum in case of a sudden stop.