1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy of nucleus

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    A 232 Th (thorium) nucleus at rest decays to a 228 Ra (radon) nucleus with the emission of an alpha particle. The total kinetic energy of the decay fragments is 6.54 x 10^-3 J. An alpha particle has 1.76% of the mass of a 228 Ra nucleus.

a) Calculate the kinetic energy of the recoiling 228 Ra nucleus.

b) Calculate the kinetic energy of the alpha particle.

** Here again I would use the formula k_f = 0.5(m_1 + m_2)v_(partical)^2 now I know we don't have any velocities to work with but the problem gives me the total kinetic energy = 6.54*10^-3 Therefore I should solve maybe for velocities first in order to plug in and get the kinetic energy of Ra and do the same for the alpha particle. Assuming m_1 = 228 and the alpha particle m_2 = 4.0 I need help seeing if I'm going on the right track with finding the velocities of the particles or is that not necessary ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: The speeds of the two fragments can be related using conservation of momentum.

4. May 30, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Again, that equation would apply if the fragments remained together, but they don't!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?