What is the maximum speed of a proton if its kinetic energy is 1.28x10^-14 J?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different equations to calculate energy and the confusion regarding finding the maximum speed of a proton without knowing its velocity. The potential energy of the proton is mentioned and it is suggested to use the equation V = p.e. / q to calculate it. The conversation also mentions the use of joules and electron-volts as units of energy.
lilymay992
Homework Statement
Hi! So for my a levels I’ve been doing practice papers and I’m stuck. I have to calculate the kinetic energy of a proton after acceleration except I’m only given the charge of +1.6x10^-19 , a potential difference of 80kV, and a mass of 1.7x10^-27kg
Relevant Equations
Kinetic energy = 1/2 x mass x velocity^2
So first I tried to use KE=1/2 x m x v^2 but then realized I didn’t have the velocity and I can’t figure out a way to obtain it. I then tried to work out the energy using a different equation, W= q x v but that left me with 1.28x10^-14 J which seemed too small.

I also then have to calculate the maximum speed of the proton which I’m confused at how to do if I don’t have the velocity.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the charge and you have the change in electric potential. What does this mean for the change in the potential energy of the proton and where does this potential energy go during acceleration?

Likes lilymay992
Oh so do I use V= p.e. / q because the electrical energy has been transferred to kinetic energy during the acceleration?

That does seem like a viable option, yes.

Likes lilymay992
Thank you for your help!

lilymay992 said:
Thank you for your help!
Note that the joule is the SI unit of energy. In particle physics, however, it's more usual to use the electron-volt as the unit of energy. This is the energy gained by an electron ( or other particle with the same charge) accelerated through 1 volt.

Another way to do your problem is to use the immediate answer in terms of electron volts and then look up the conversion to joules.

1. What is Kinetic Energy of Protons?

Kinetic Energy of Protons refers to the energy that a proton possesses due to its motion. It is a type of mechanical energy and is dependent on the mass and velocity of the proton.

2. How is Kinetic Energy of Protons calculated?

The Kinetic Energy of a proton is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the proton and v is its velocity.

3. What units are used to measure Kinetic Energy of Protons?

Kinetic Energy is measured in joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). However, it can also be measured in electron volts (eV) in particle physics.

4. How does Kinetic Energy of Protons relate to other forms of energy?

Kinetic Energy can be transformed into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or heat. It is also a component of total energy, which includes potential, kinetic, and internal energy.

5. What is the significance of Kinetic Energy of Protons in physics?

The Kinetic Energy of Protons is important in many areas of physics, including particle physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as proton therapy for cancer treatment.