When to use different kinetic energy equations

In summary, the use of 0.5mv^2 and 0.5Iw^2 depends on the type of motion being analyzed. Both can be used when taking I about the center of mass, but sometimes only 0.5Iw^2 is needed when treating a body as purely in rotation about a specific axis. Examples of when to use both and when to use only one are given for circular motion, a swinging rod, and a rod being hit on a table.
zhenyazh
hi,
when will i use 0.5mv^2 and when will i use 0.5Iw^2
when will i use both?
as far as i can see one represents the movement of the center of mass and the other
the angular movement.
so as far as i understand for a moving cylinder i would use the sum of those.
but i can't think of any example where i use only one.
for instance what happens in the following cases:
1. circular motion of some ring
2. a rod which is fixed to the wall on one side is being hit on the other and starts rising
3. a rod that lies on a table, gets hit by clay and starts moving. this one is not fixed.

thanks a lot
this forum is really helpful in preparing for my exam

Physics news on Phys.org
zhenyazh said:
hi,
when will i use 0.5mv^2 and when will i use 0.5Iw^2
when will i use both?
If you take I about the center of mass, then you can always use both. One represents the KE due to the translation of the center of mass; the other is the KE due to rotation about the center of mass.

But sometimes you can treat a body as being purely in rotation about some axis and just use KE = 0.5Iw^2, where I is about the axis of rotation.

for instance what happens in the following cases:
1. circular motion of some ring
I don't understand this case.
2. a rod which is fixed to the wall on one side is being hit on the other and starts rising
Since the rod is hinged at one end, you can treat its motion as being pure rotation about that end.
3. a rod that lies on a table, gets hit by clay and starts moving. this one is not fixed.
Use both, with I about the center of mass.

1. What is kinetic energy of a rigid body?

Kinetic energy of a rigid body is the energy that a body possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body from rest to its current velocity.

2. How is the kinetic energy of a rigid body calculated?

The kinetic energy of a rigid body can be calculated using the formula: KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2. This formula takes into account both the mass and velocity of the body.

3. What is the difference between translational and rotational kinetic energy?

Translational kinetic energy refers to the energy of a body due to its linear motion, while rotational kinetic energy refers to the energy of a body due to its rotational motion about an axis.

4. How does the shape of a rigid body affect its kinetic energy?

The shape of a rigid body can affect its kinetic energy in terms of its moment of inertia. Objects with larger moments of inertia require more energy to rotate at the same speed compared to objects with smaller moments of inertia.

5. Can the kinetic energy of a rigid body be negative?

No, the kinetic energy of a rigid body cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the energy that a body possesses due to its motion.