1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Kinetic energy of rigid body

  1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    when will i use 0.5mv^2 and when will i use 0.5Iw^2
    when will i use both?
    as far as i can see one represents the movement of the center of mass and the other
    the angular movement.
    so as far as i understand for a moving cylinder i would use the sum of those.
    but i can't think of any example where i use only one.
    for instance what happens in the following cases:
    1. circular motion of some ring
    2. a rod which is fixed to the wall on one side is being hit on the other and starts rising
    3. a rod that lies on a table, gets hit by clay and starts moving. this one is not fixed.

    thanks a lot
    this forum is really helpful in preparing for my exam
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2

    Doc Al

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    If you take I about the center of mass, then you can always use both. One represents the KE due to the translation of the center of mass; the other is the KE due to rotation about the center of mass.

    But sometimes you can treat a body as being purely in rotation about some axis and just use KE = 0.5Iw^2, where I is about the axis of rotation.

    I don't understand this case.
    Since the rod is hinged at one end, you can treat its motion as being pure rotation about that end.
    Use both, with I about the center of mass.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook