Kinetic energy of rotation

In summary, the book says that " Conservation of Mechanical Energy can be used to solve this problem." However, the friction between the object and the ground does work, so the energy is not actually conserved.
jwu
I just have a kind of conceptual question. I am doing a problem. It's related to a ball rolling from a inclined plane without slipping. The answer uses the Conservation of Mechanical Energy to attack that problem. But isn't true that Conservation of Mechanical Energy can only be used when there isn't any nonconservative force? The force of friction between the plane and the ball is a nonconservative force, isn't it? So why can it use the Conservation of Mechanical Energy to do that problem?
Overall, my problem is simply. Why is Mechanical Energy conserved in "rolling without slipping on inclined plane", with the nonconservative force of friction?
It's my first post in this forum. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess: Energy is NOT conserved. Instead of Ei = Ef you have Ei = Ef + Work done by friction.

zachzach said:
My guess: Energy is NOT conserved. Instead of Ei = Ef you have Ei = Ef + Work done by friction.

But the prolem is that it's the answer on the Priceton AP physics book. It stated that "we will attack this problem using Conservation of Energy." Then it comes out something like:
Ki+Ui=Kf+Uf
0+Mgh=(1/2Mv^2+1/2Iw^2)+0
any ideas? Thank you anyway!

So your saying friction is needed for the object to roll but if this is so then why is energy conserved? This has to mean that the frictional force that causes the rolling does no work. But Why not? If the sphere was sliding there would be work done.

Last edited:
zachzach said:
So your saying friction is needed for the object to roll but if this is so then why is energy conserved? This has to mean that the frictional force that causes the rolling does no work. But Why not? If the sphere was sliding there would be work done.

So you mean the Mechanical energy is conserved because the frictional force that causes the rolling dose no work?

http://cnx.org/content/m14391/latest/ Scroll down. The explanation is that the work done by the static friction in rotation is equal and opposite to the work done in translation thus canceling out.

zachzach said:
http://cnx.org/content/m14391/latest/ Scroll down. The explanation is that the work done by the static friction in rotation is equal and opposite to the work done in translation thus canceling out.

You are amazing! This really helps a lot! Just enlightening! How can I add you as a forum friend?

What is kinetic energy of rotation?

Kinetic energy of rotation is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is determined by the object's mass, rotational speed, and moment of inertia.

How is kinetic energy of rotation different from kinetic energy of translation?

Kinetic energy of rotation is different from kinetic energy of translation as it involves rotational motion around a fixed axis, while kinetic energy of translation is associated with linear motion.

What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy of rotation?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy of rotation is KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

How does mass affect the kinetic energy of rotation?

The kinetic energy of rotation is directly proportional to the mass of the object. This means that as the mass increases, the kinetic energy of rotation also increases.

Can kinetic energy of rotation be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy of rotation can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy, depending on the type of motion and the environment of the object.