Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy of Springs with Mass

1. Oct 14, 2005 #1
    Just to start with this equation:
    [tex]\frac{1}{6} m_s v^2[/tex]
    Incase my latex is broken, its (1/6)(m_s)(v^2). Where m_s is the mass of the spring, and V is the velocity of the spring at it's tip.
    I'm looking for a derivation for this equation, because it was just handed to me and I don't like using equations without knowing where they came from. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks in advance :shy:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Think of the spring (length L) in segments of mass dm. One end of the spring is fixed, the other moves at speed [itex]v_s[/itex]. So a mass element at position x from the fixed end has speed [itex](x/L) v_s[/itex], and thus a KE of [itex]1/2 (dm) (x/L)^2 v_s^2[/itex]. Express dm in terms of dx: [itex]dm = (m_s/L) dx[/itex] and integrate the previous expression (from 0 to L) to find the total KE.

4. Oct 15, 2005 #3
    Thanks

So, essentially we are just summing up all the tiny dKE's. That makes a whole lot of sense now. Thanks Doc.

:!!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?