1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy Plot

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Figure shows a plot of potential energy U versus position x of a 0.900 kg particle that can travel only along an x axis. (Nonconservative forces are not involved.) Three values are UA = 15 J, UB = 35 J and UC = 45 J. The particle is released at x = 4.5 m with an initial speed of 6.80 m/s, headed in the negative x direction.

If the particle can reach x = 1.0 m, what is its speed there, and if it cannot, what is its turning point?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c08/q39.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

Ek=1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no clue what to do.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2
    What is the particle's total energy at t = 0?

4. Apr 19, 2009 #3
    they don't give time, help anyone?

5. Apr 19, 2009 #4
    Let me rephrase, what is the particle's total energy?

6. Apr 19, 2009 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Find the KE at 4 m.
    UB - UA = KE at 4m - KE at 2m
    If it is positive, the particle will reach 1 m.

7. Apr 9, 2011 #6
    Hi, I am also having trouble with this problem. It is not homework, I am doing it out of the book.

So I am trying to find the speed at x=1m

Why would KE at 1 m not be Uc - Ub? Isn't KE the space inbetween the U line and the total energy?

Just in case last person pic doesn't work any more here is my own link from book:

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/halliday9118/halliday9118c08/image_n/nt0055-y.gif

And after I find the KE I use
    KE = 1/2 mv^2 to find the velocity

I didn't find the right velocity when I took Ub-Ua.
    I also didn't find the right velocity when I took Uc - Ub.

The answer should be : 2.1 m/s

How do I get this?

8. Apr 9, 2011 #7
    would it have been better to start a new thread for my question? This last question is over a year old....

Any advice helps. Thank you! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook