1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy problem

1. Feb 13, 2006 #1
    Particles A (of mass m and charge Q) and B (of mass m and charge 5Q) are released from rest with the distance between them equal to 0.9773 m. If Q = 8 [tex] \mu C [/tex], what is the kinetic energy of particle B at the instant when the particles are 2.9773 m apart? Answer in units of J.
    I really don't know how to do this problem. I tried to set it up by using conservation of energy.
    KE_A + KE_B + U_A + U_B = KE_A + KE_B + U_A + U_B
    qkQ/.9773 + qk5Q/.9773 = KE_A + KE_B + qkQ/2.9773 + qk5Q/2.9773.
    I really don't think this setup is right, and I have no idea how I would be able to solve for the final kinetic energy of B when I don't know the final velocity of A.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2006 #2
    1)Start out with determining what force is acting between those particles. Also, make sure that you have the correct direction of the force vector with respect to an X and Y axis.

2)Apply Newton's second Law in both the X and Y direction.

3) Solve the equations to get the particles' velocity and positions as a function of time

4. Feb 14, 2006 #3
    Since the particles both have a positive charge, I know they will repel. Aside from that force, the normal force and gravity, those are the only forces I know of. Is that right?
  5. Feb 14, 2006 #4
    Coulombic force and gravity, yes.

Though in this problem, i think you can omit gravity.

6. Feb 14, 2006 #5
    Wouldn't the columbic force just be in the x-dir? So it would be like
    qE_b- qE_a= ma ?
    Sorry... I'm still confused.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?