Kinetic energy problem

Homework Statement

Is is possible to have a change in kinetic energy without providing an external force.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want some examples of the above mentioned problem. In radio active decay the alpha particles are coming out from the nucleus with a kinetic energy but we have not given any external force. is this example correct?

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
KE=(1/2)*m*v^2. The acceleration of a body without an external force is zero. Put the two together. In the example of radioactive decay the particle tunnels out of the nucleus. In this case are you correct is saying that the alpha particle had zero kinetic energy before doing this? (Consider the uncertainty principle).

Homework Statement

Is is possible to have a change in kinetic energy without providing an external force.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want some examples of the above mentioned problem. In radio active decay the alpha particles are coming out from the nucleus with a kinetic energy but we have not given any external force. is this example correct?

When a stationary thing explodes?
Initially it does not have kinetic energy, but once its particles started moving in different directions..so net kinetic energy becomes more than 0.

I think you just need to identify a source of potential energy in a system, it is exists then that energy can be converted to kinetic energy

mass is a form of potential energy right?

Last edited:
Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
When a stationary thing explodes?
Initially it does not have kinetic energy, but once its particles started moving in different directions..so net kinetic energy becomes more than 0.

I think you just need to identify a source of potential energy in a system, it is exists then that energy can be converted to kinetic energy

Possibly. If you define 'external' other than as its definition in the second law.