Kinetic Energy of an arrow problem

In summary, the problem involves an arrow that slows down from 43 m/s to 28 m/s as it passes through an apple. The apple, with a mass of 493 g, was originally at rest and sped up to 0.44 m/s. Using the conservation of momentum equation, the mass of the arrow can be solved for by setting the initial momentum equal to the final momentum. This approach is more suitable than using kinetic energy equations.
HeavyGuy

Homework Statement

An arrow slows down from 43 m/s to 28 m/s as it passes through an apple. If the 493-g apple was originally at rest and sped up to 0.44 m/s, what is the mass of the arrow

Vapple,i = 0 m/s
Vapple,f = 0.44 m/s
Varrow,i = 43 m/s
Varrow,f = 28 m/s
m,apple = o.493 kg
m,arrow = ?

Homework Equations

im guessing we only need Eki = Ekf which is 1/2mvi(ar)^2 + 1/2mvi(ap)^2 + 1/2mvf(ar)^2 + 1/2mvf(ap)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i plugged it all into the equation so it looks like this near the end

924.5m = 0.0477224 + 392m

i then subtracted the 392 from 924.5 and divided that number by the long decimal to solve for m, but answer was totally off. can anyone tell me where i went wrong? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i think i would approach this questions as a conservation of momentum problem rather than

I think i would approach this problem as a conservation of momentum rather than kinetic energy.
Pi = Pf
marvi ar + m apvi ap = marvf ar + m apvf ap

so you know the mass of the apple, both initial and final velocities of the arrow as well as both initial and final velocities of the apple!

Hope that helps!

thanks a lot! i was wondering what i was doing wrong lol

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is a type of energy that an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What is the significance of the kinetic energy of an arrow?

The kinetic energy of an arrow is important because it determines the force with which the arrow will hit its target. The higher the kinetic energy, the more damage the arrow can cause.

4. How does the mass and velocity of an arrow affect its kinetic energy?

The mass and velocity of an arrow both directly affect its kinetic energy. A heavier arrow or a faster arrow will have a higher kinetic energy.

5. Can the kinetic energy of an arrow be altered?

Yes, the kinetic energy of an arrow can be altered by changing its mass or velocity. Other factors such as air resistance and gravity may also affect the arrow's kinetic energy.