1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy Problem

1. Jun 29, 2011 #1
    Q: A young Mr. Watford applies a force of 180N to a refrigerator on. kitchen floor.

Part (A):Find the net force on the refrigerator if the floor has a constant frictional force of 35N.

Ans:145N

Part (B): Calculate the acceleration of the refrigerator if it has a mass of 70kg.

Ans: 2.57 ms-2

Part (C) Calculate the kinetic energy of the fridge after it has been pushed 5.00m.

initial velocity = 0 ms-1
    displacement = 5m
    acceleration = 2.57 ms-2
    mass = 70kg
    time = ?

s = ut + 1/2at^2
    v = u + at
    Ek=1/2 mv^2

Substituting the given units into s = ut + 1/2at^2, I got time = 1.97s

Substituting the units into v = u + at, I got final velocity = 5.06 ms-1

And finally subbing the units into Ek= 1/2mv^2, I got Kinetic Energy = 896.13J.

I got one benefit of the doubt mark out of four possible marks, and if that was in an exam I would've got 0 marks as there are no benefit of the doubt marks.

Please reply asap I have an exam tomorrow.

Thanks

*ANSWERED*

E = W
    W= Fs
    =180 x 5 = 900J

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Give us the entire problem statement, and you might get some constructive suggestions.

4. Jun 29, 2011 #3
    Fixed! :)

5. Jun 29, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Rethink your calculation for the acceleration. The mass of the fridge will respond to the net force applied to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook