1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy problem

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much energy is required to move this satellite to a circular orbit with a radius of 2.50×104 miles?

I've found the answer to Part A of this problem to be 1.59*10^10, if this helps solve the above^^
    (Find the kinetic energy of a 1.80×103 kg satellite in a circular orbit about the Earth, given that the radius of the orbit is 1.40×104 miles.)

2. Relevant equations
    v^2=G Me / r
    KE = 1/2mv^2
    .5*m*v^2=.5*m*(G*mEarth/R)
    E = 1/2mv^2 - GMm/r
    KE = 1/2mv^2 = 1/2 GMm/r

E = -1/2 GMm/r
    dE = E2 - E1 = GMm*(-1/r2 +1/r) = GMm*(r2 -r)/(r*r2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    using these formulas have given me three wrong attempts on my homework and i don't know what i'm doing wrong. any help would be very appreciative.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

It all looks fine, except, on you final equation, you forgot the 1/2. So it should be:
    dE = 0.5 GMm*(r2 - r)/(r*r2)
    If you're still getting it wrong after changing this, then maybe you've not converted from miles to meters properly?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook