How much energy is required to move this satellite to a circular orbit

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the energy required to move a satellite to a circular orbit with a radius of 2.50×104 miles. The answer to Part A of the problem is found to be 1.59*10^10. The conversation also includes various formulas and equations to calculate kinetic energy and the attempt at a solution. One possible error is forgetting to include the 1/2 in the final equation and not properly converting from miles to meters.
macy192

Homework Statement

How much energy is required to move this satellite to a circular orbit with a radius of 2.50×104 miles?

I've found the answer to Part A of this problem to be 1.59*10^10, if this helps solve the above^^
(Find the kinetic energy of a 1.80×103 kg satellite in a circular orbit about the Earth, given that the radius of the orbit is 1.40×104 miles.)

Homework Equations

v^2=G Me / r
KE = 1/2mv^2
.5*m*v^2=.5*m*(G*mEarth/R)
E = 1/2mv^2 - GMm/r
KE = 1/2mv^2 = 1/2 GMm/r

E = -1/2 GMm/r
dE = E2 - E1 = GMm*(-1/r2 +1/r) = GMm*(r2 -r)/(r*r2)

The Attempt at a Solution

using these formulas have given me three wrong attempts on my homework and i don't know what I'm doing wrong. any help would be very appreciative.

Physics news on Phys.org
It all looks fine, except, on you final equation, you forgot the 1/2. So it should be:
dE = 0.5 GMm*(r2 - r)/(r*r2)
If you're still getting it wrong after changing this, then maybe you've not converted from miles to meters properly?

What factors affect the amount of energy required to move a satellite to a circular orbit?

The amount of energy required to move a satellite to a circular orbit depends on the mass of the satellite, the mass of the object it is orbiting, and the distance between the satellite and the object it is orbiting. Other factors that can affect the energy required include atmospheric drag, solar radiation pressure, and gravitational perturbations from other objects in space.

How is the energy required to move a satellite to a circular orbit calculated?

The energy required to move a satellite to a circular orbit is calculated using the formula E = -G(m1m2)/2r, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 is the mass of the satellite, m2 is the mass of the object it is orbiting, and r is the distance between the satellite and the object.

What is the difference between the energy required for a circular orbit and an elliptical orbit?

The energy required for a circular orbit is less than the energy required for an elliptical orbit. This is because in an elliptical orbit, the satellite must travel a longer distance and thus requires more energy to maintain its orbit.

Can the energy required to move a satellite to a circular orbit be reduced?

Yes, the energy required to move a satellite to a circular orbit can be reduced by using gravity assists from other objects in space, such as planets or moons, to change the satellite's trajectory and reduce the amount of energy needed for its orbit.

How does the altitude of a satellite affect the energy required for a circular orbit?

The higher the altitude of a satellite, the more energy is required to maintain a circular orbit. This is because the higher the altitude, the greater the distance between the satellite and the object it is orbiting, which increases the gravitational force and thus the energy needed to maintain the orbit.