Calculating Velocity from Kinetic Energy: A Homework Problem Solution"

In summary, kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion and is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. Examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, and a person running. Kinetic energy and potential energy are two forms of energy that can be converted into each other, with kinetic energy being the energy an object has due to its motion and potential energy being the energy an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic energy can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, through processes like friction or collisions.
huskiehenne

Homework Statement

A car witha mass of 1500 kg has a Kinetic Energy of 1,400,000 Joules. What is its velocity?

Homework Equations

I would assume that (K.E.=1/2 x m x v 2) could be used.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not exactly sure how to attempt this question. Do we try to make velocity by itself in the above equation? I am not quite sure how to go about that...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's how you solve for v, isn't it?

I would approach this problem by first identifying the given information and the relevant equations. The given information includes the mass of the car (1500 kg) and its kinetic energy (1,400,000 Joules). The relevant equation is the formula for kinetic energy, which is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2.

Next, I would rearrange the equation to solve for velocity (v). This can be done by dividing both sides of the equation by 1/2 * m and then taking the square root of both sides. This gives us the equation v = √(2 * KE / m).

Now, I would plug in the given values for KE and m into the equation and solve for v. This gives us v = √(2 * 1,400,000 J / 1500 kg) = 48.5 m/s.

Therefore, the velocity of the car is 48.5 m/s. This approach allows us to use the given information and relevant equations to solve the problem and arrive at a numerical answer.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What are some examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, and a person running.

4. How does kinetic energy relate to potential energy?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are two forms of energy that can be converted into each other. Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, through various processes like friction or collisions.