Discover the Relationship between Kinetic Energy and Velocity - FAQs Answered

In summary: If I apply a force to a stationary mass, m, such that F = ma = m\Delta v/\Delta t for a time \Delta t what is the final speed? (ie. what is \Delta v?) How far a distance have I applied that force in that time? (call that d1). The force times that distance d1 is the work done and that is equal to the kinetic energy of the mass (assuming no friction). The energy is proportional to the distance over which I apply the force, not the time over which I apply it. Now if I apply the force for a longer time such that \Delta v is twice as large, over what distance do I apply the force? (d2
Damien20
If the kinetic Energy of an object is doubled, by what factor is the velocity increased ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Damien20 said:
If the kinetic Energy of an object is doubled, by what factor is the velocity increased ?
You have to show your work first. Can you tell us how you think velocity is related to kinetic energy?

AM

Well I know if the mass constant, and if the velocity is increased or decreased then so does the KE. I can wrap my head around that much, but If the KE is doubled it makes me want to say the velocity and mass doubles. what you do to one side of the equation you must do to the otherside, but for some reason that just doesn't feel right.

Damien20 said:
Well I know if the mass constant, and if the velocity is increased or decreased then so does the KE. I can wrap my head around that much, but If the KE is doubled it makes me want to say the velocity and mass doubles. what you do to one side of the equation you must do to the otherside, but for some reason that just doesn't feel right.
You have to give us a mathematical expression for kinetic energy.

If I apply a force to a stationary mass, m, such that [itex]F = ma = m\Delta v/\Delta t[/itex] for a time [itex]\Delta t[/itex] what is the final speed? (ie. what is [itex]\Delta v[/itex]?) How far a distance have I applied that force in that time? (call that d1). The force times that distance d1 is the work done and that is equal to the kinetic energy of the mass (assuming no friction). The energy is proportional to the distance over which I apply the force, not the time over which I apply it. Now if I apply the force for a longer time such that [itex]\Delta v[/itex] is twice as large, over what distance do I apply the force? (d2). The ratio of d2 to d1 gives you the ratio of kinetic energies.

AM

What is Kinetic Energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a type of mechanical energy and is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

How is Kinetic Energy Calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. The unit of kinetic energy is joules (J).

What is the Difference Between Kinetic Energy and Potential Energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or condition. Kinetic energy can be transferred between objects, while potential energy is stored and can be converted into kinetic energy.

What Factors Affect Kinetic Energy?

The two main factors that affect kinetic energy are the mass and velocity of the object. The greater the mass and velocity, the greater the kinetic energy.

What is the Importance of Kinetic Energy?

Kinetic energy is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of moving objects. It is also crucial in many everyday activities, such as driving a car, playing sports, or using machines.