Kinetic Energy Calculation Using Average Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the kinetic energy of a 3.0 kg object that is acted on by a force. The position of the object is given as a function of time and more information is needed to calculate the work done on the object. The conversation also includes a discussion on whether the object has variable velocity and therefore variable kinetic energy. It is suggested to either average the kinetic energies or find the velocity function and evaluate it at different times to find the work done. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using calculus to solve the problem.
renob
I need to find kinetic energy, but I am given several velocities over 4 seconds. Would it be correct if I use the average velocity to calculate the KE?

question:

A force acts on a 3.0 kg particle-like object in such a way that the position of the object as a function of time is given by x=3.0t-4.0t^2+1.0t^3, with x in meters and t in seconds. Find the work done on the object by the force from t=0 to t= 4.0s.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
More information needed!
Does the same object have a velocity that varies with time?
If so, your KE also varies with time and perhaps you should report the several values for KE. If you must average, better to average the KE's rather than the velocities.

Yea the velocity changes with time. So average the KE's?

Yikes, that x=3.0t-4.0t^2+1.0t^3 is more additional information that I wanted to see!
Looks like acceleration varying with time. One approach would be to figure out the velocity function, then evaluate it at time 0 and time 4. Then you can find the KE at the beginning and the KE at the end. The difference should be the work done.

Is this question from a calculus class? If so, you could differentiate the x function to get the velocity and acceleration. Then integrate dW = Fdx to get the work done.

Nah it's from ap physics which is calculus based. Thanks for the advice.

It works out quite easily both ways - I even got the same answer both ways. About 175*m.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its current velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What are the units of kinetic energy?

The SI unit for kinetic energy is joules (J), but it can also be measured in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or kilogram-meters squared per second squared (kg-m^2/s^2).

4. How does kinetic energy relate to potential energy?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are two forms of energy that an object can possess. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. The total energy of an object is the sum of its kinetic and potential energy.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal energy or electrical energy. This is known as the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.