1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy question

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    kinetic energy question!!

I have the following question to complete, and dont have the slightest clue where to start! :(

A sphere of mass 1kg, moving at 10 m/s, overtakes another sphere of
    mass 5 kg moving in the same line at 3m/s. Find the loss of kinetic
    energy during impact, and show that the direction of motion of the
    first sphere is reversed. Assume the coefficient of restitution e = .75

should i use the following forumla?: 2(m1 + m2)E = m1m2(u1-u2)2(1-e2)

any help would be greatly appreciated,

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Re: kinetic energy question!!

Start by doing the first question: the loss in kinetic energy. Since the coefficient of restitution is 0.75, 25% of the initial kinetic energy is lost, correct?

Then write out the conservation of momentum & conservation of energy equations, remembering that 25% of the original kinetic energy is lost.
  4. Jan 11, 2010 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't recognize that formula. In any case, it's usually best to derive your own formula from first principles.

Hint: What's the definition of the coefficient of restitution? That will give you one equation. Conservation of momentum will give you the other.
  5. Jan 11, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just a friendly correction, that isn't what is meant by coefficient of restitution; it involves the relative velocities of the objects before and after the collision. Presumably it's in the OP's textbook or lecture notes so I will reiterate Doc Al's advice and let the OP look it up.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook