Calculating Change in Kinetic Energy of Crate on Inclined Plane

In summary, the problem involves a crate of mass 10.00 kg being pulled up a rough incline with a pulling force of 100 N parallel to the incline, making an angle of 20.0 degrees with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.400 and the crate is pulled 5.00 m. The change in kinetic energy of the crate is 148 J, and to find the final velocity, the equation 148 = 1/2*m*(vf^2 - vi^2) is used. The final velocity is 5.44 m/s.
Paymemoney

Homework Statement

A crate of mass 10.00kg is pulled up a rough incline with a n initial speed of 1.50m/s. The pulling force is 100N parallel to the incline, which makes an angle of 20.0 degrees with the horizontal. The coefficient kinetic friction is 0.400, and the crate is pulled 5.00m.
What is the change in kinetic energy if the crate?

Homework Equations

K=0.5mgv^2
W=F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

This what i have done but i cannot seem to get the right answer:

To find velocity:
W = 0.5mv^2 + Frictional force * d
500 = 5v^2 + 184
v= 7.98m/s

To Find change in kinetic energy:
K = 0.5mv^2
K = 5 * 7.95^2
K = 316

P.S

Physics news on Phys.org
It may help to write up a diagram showing all the forces that act on the mass during its slide up the incline. Since you are interested in distances and forces parallel to the incline you should be able to project all the forces unto this direction, think about if they are constant or not, and then apply your energy equations (hint: increase in kinetic energy of the crate is the sum of the work (with sign) done by the pulling force, friction and gravity; kinetic energy then determines speed).

Hey Pay, I'm a little confused. What is the answer you are looking to get?

First, your calculation of the final velocity doesn't depend on the initial velocity. If you needed the velocity it would come from this,

[tex]K_{f}[/tex] = [tex]K_{i}[/tex] - [tex]f_{k}[/tex] d + W

Secondly, for your KE calculation you are not computing a CHANGE in energy. Your calculation is the energy of the block at the instant it is moving 7.95 m/s. (I don't know where you got that velocity?)

But, I think you get the answer from the less explicit form of the work-kinetic energy thm:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]K = - [tex]f_{k}[/tex] d + W

[tex]\Delta[/tex]K = -[tex]\mu_{k}[/tex]mgCos([tex]\theta[/tex]) d + F d

Here's the confusing part, when I did that calculation quick it came out to,

[tex]\Delta[/tex]K = 315.82 J.

The question only asks for the change in kinetic energy and you seemed to have got that somehow ; )

no, 315.82 is not the correct answer according my book's answers.

I worked out that to get the change in kinetic energy you need to add up all the forces exerted by the crate to get the correct answer (according to what filiplarsen said).

so my final answer is 148 Joules.

You can't add up forces to get a change in kinetic energy. Filplarsen correctly said you are dealing with the sum of forces applied over distances. Or work. A change in kinetic energy is work and that's what the problem, as written, is asking for.

Forces on the box that do work over the 5.00 meters:

Pulling force = 100 N. Friction force = u_k*N = -36.8 N.

Net force = 100 +(-36.8) = 63.164 N.

Again, if I multiply that by 5.00 m. I get 315.82 Joules. Is 148 J. the answer in the book? Please show quickly how you got an answer and what you are aiming for. Otherwise, I can't figure out where you got 148 J.

Kabbotta said:
I get 315.82 Joules. Is 148 J. the answer in the book?

I also get 148J. Remember there is a third force at play here.

Yep, I left out gravity, thanks guys. 148 J. is definitely right.

ok i got another question related to this problem.
What is the speed of the crate after being pulled 5.00m?

This is what i have done, but unsure if it is correct. Answers says it 5.65m/s, however i got 5.44m/s

[tex]K=0.5mv^2[/tex]

[tex]148=5v^2[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{148}{5}}=v[/tex]

[tex]v=5.44m/s[/tex]

You are on the right track but have missed something. Try read the problem text carefully.

hmm.. is something to with the change in Kinetic energy?

Paymemoney said:
hmm.. is something to with the change in Kinetic energy?
148 = Kf - Ki= 5(vf^2 - vi^2)
Now find vf.

The 148 J is the change in kinetic energy, but that is not necessarily the final value of the kinetic energy (hint: did the crate had any kinetic energy to start with?)

rl.bhat said:
148 = Kf - Ki= 5(vf^2 - vi^2)
Now find vf.

Did you get 5(vf^2 - vi^2) equation from v^2= u^2 +2as?

Paymemoney said:
Did you get 5(vf^2 - vi^2) equation from v^2= u^2 +2as?
No.
Work done = Change in the kinetic energy
148 = 1/2*m*(vf^2 - vi^2)

ok, i get it now thanks

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

What are some examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, and a rolling ball.

What is the relationship between kinetic energy and potential energy?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are forms of energy that are constantly interchanging. Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or shape, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. As an object moves, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases, and vice versa.

How is kinetic energy important in everyday life?

Kinetic energy is important in everyday life as it is the energy that drives many common processes, such as transportation and electricity generation. It also plays a crucial role in sports and physical activities, as well as in the functioning of our bodies.