How Do You Calculate Kinetic Energy Changes in Rotational Motion?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics problem involving the conservation of angular velocity and energy. The correct solution involves using the conservation of angular momentum and considering the change in energy.
Noctix

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/6328/physics2.jpg

Homework Equations

KE(final)/Ke(initial)

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2mv2/1/2mv2

v(final)2/v(initial)2

v= wr

r(initial)=? and r(final)=?

I originally thought the r's would cancel, but they don't because they're different. what to i do with them?
the corect answer is simply w(final)/w(initial), which is 3.3ish, but I want to understand how they got to that.
thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok, so my understanding of this is kind of like a lever. You have a set amount of torque that is the same on both sides of the focal point. So Torque=Newtons x Distance. If one side is longer than the other (the professor with his arms out) the Newtons are smaller because the distance is great. while the shorter arm (professor with his arms in) has a shorter distance, meaning it will have greater force.
so 1.5rad/s x D(initial)=5rad/s x D(final) ... that's what i got out of it

Welcome to PF!

Hi Noctix! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)
Noctix said:
I originally thought the r's would cancel, but they don't because they're different. what to i do with them?

ah, you haven't used conservation of https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=313" (rv, = r2ω) …

use that, and you should get the correct result :smile:

(and to account for the change in energy … ie, where did the energy come from or go to? … think about the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=75" :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion. It is dependent on the object's mass and velocity.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity squared and dividing by 2. The formula is KE = 1/2 * mv^2.

What are kinetic energy ratios?

Kinetic energy ratios are the comparison of kinetic energy between two objects. It is calculated by dividing the kinetic energy of one object by the kinetic energy of another object.

Why are kinetic energy ratios important?

Kinetic energy ratios are important because they can help scientists understand the efficiency and effectiveness of different systems or objects. It can also be used to compare the kinetic energy of different types of energy, such as mechanical, thermal, or electrical.

How can kinetic energy ratios be applied in real life?

Kinetic energy ratios can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as analyzing the performance of vehicles, measuring the efficiency of machines, or understanding the impact of collisions. They can also be used in renewable energy systems to determine the conversion of kinetic energy into other forms of energy.