Kinetic Energy and Speed: Doubling KE with Multiplying Speed?

In summary, to double the kinetic energy of a given mass, the speed must be multiplied by a factor of 1.41.
majormuss

Homework Statement

If the Kinetic energy of a given mass is to be doubled, its speed must be multiplied by?

Homework Equations

KE= 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the answer is 4, but am not really sure. I figured that if the Kinetic energy should be doubled, then since the v(velocity) on the other hand is squared and the proportionality also seems to be direct then the answer is 2^2=4. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that is not right. For problems like this it is worth picking some numbers to substitute in for variables. As a hint, you aren't going to get a whole number.

KE=.5*m*V1^2 therefore V1=Sqrt(2*KE/m)

2*KE=.5^V2^2 therefore V2=sqrt(4*KE/m)

What must you multiply V1 by to get V2?

V1*Z=V2

Z=V1/V2= 2/sqrt(2)

u can think about it this way ... u have your KE(1) = 1/2mv^2 , so in order to have 2KE(1) which is (2)1/mv^2 .. what u should have with the velocity so that u get this factor of (2) ..

RTW69 said:
KE=.5*m*V1^2 therefore V1=Sqrt(2*KE/m)

2*KE=.5^V2^2 therefore V2=sqrt(4*KE/m)

What must you multiply V1 by to get V2?

V1*Z=V2

Z=V1/V2= 2/sqrt(2)

I think u have made some mistake here..

thebigstar25 said:
u can think about it this way ... u have your KE(1) = 1/2mv^2 , so in order to have 2KE(1) which is (2)1/mv^2 .. what u should have with the velocity so that u get this factor of (2) ..

still confused... is the answer 1/2?, which is it and how can arrive at the right answer.

Consider this: you have two kinetic energies, KEi (initial) and KEf (final). These kinetic energies are computed with the same mass, but with different velocities, vi and vf. You're given that KEf is twice KEi, and you're trying to figure out what the relationship between vi and vf is.

What you've been doing so far is kind of like a guess-and-check method: you start with
[tex]KE_i = \frac{1}{2}mv_i^2[/tex]
[tex]KE_f = \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2[/tex]
and try plugging in first [itex]v_f = 4v_i[/itex] (your initial guess)
[tex]KE_f = \frac{1}{2}m(4 v_i)^2 = 16*\frac{1}{2}m v_i^2 = 16KE_i[/tex]
...nope, that's not it. Now what if you try 1/2?
[tex]KE_f = \frac{1}{2}m\biggl(\frac{1}{2} v_i\biggr)^2 = \frac{1}{4}*\frac{1}{2}m v_i^2 = \frac{1}{4}KE_i[/tex]
...that's not it either.

Try the algebraic approach. Start with the condition that you need to be true, that the final KE is twice the initial KE
[tex]KE_f = 2 KE_i[/tex]
and substitute in the expressions for kinetic energy
Then cancel out the common factors on both sides of the equation and see what you're left with. Finally, what mathematical step should you take to get it into the form
[tex]v_i = \bigl(\cdots\bigr)v_f[/tex]
and what is the coefficient in the parentheses? That will be the answer you're looking for.

diazona said:
Consider this: you have two kinetic energies, KEi (initial) and KEf (final). These kinetic energies are computed with the same mass, but with different velocities, vi and vf. You're given that KEf is twice KEi, and you're trying to figure out what the relationship between vi and vf is.

What you've been doing so far is kind of like a guess-and-check method: you start with
and try plugging in first [itex]v_f = 4v_i[/itex] (your initial guess)
[tex]KE_f = \frac{1}{2}m(4 v_i)^2 = 16*\frac{1}{2}m v_i^2 = 16KE_i[/tex]
...nope, that's not it. Now what if you try 1/2?
[tex]KE_f = \frac{1}{2}m\biggl(\frac{1}{2} v_i\biggr)^2 = \frac{1}{4}*\frac{1}{2}m v_i^2 = \frac{1}{4}KE_i[/tex]
...that's not it either.

Try the algebraic approach. Start with the condition that you need to be true, that the final KE is twice the initial KE
[tex]KE_f = 2 KE_i[/tex]
and substitute in the expressions for kinetic energy
Then cancel out the common factors on both sides of the equation and see what you're left with. Finally, what mathematical step should you take to get it into the form
[tex]v_i = \bigl(\cdots\bigr)v_f[/tex]
and what is the coefficient in the parentheses? That will be the answer you're looking for.
Thanks a lot for the hint... really appreciate it. so my answer turns out 2^1/2
I figured it logically: since 'v' is squared, what number when squared gives 2.
In other words 1.41

2/sqrt(2) is 1.41 as described above

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its current velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy related to speed?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of an object's speed. This means that as an object's speed increases, its kinetic energy increases at a faster rate.

3. Is kinetic energy the same as speed?

No, kinetic energy and speed are not the same. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while kinetic energy is a measure of the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

4. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the object's mass, and v is the object's velocity or speed.

5. How does kinetic energy affect an object's motion?

Kinetic energy affects an object's motion by providing the energy needed to overcome resistance and maintain its current speed. As an object's kinetic energy increases, its movement becomes more difficult to stop or slow down.