1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy with ariplanes

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which has a higher kinetic energy?
    An airplane traveling at the speed of sound or an airplane with half the weight of plane one and traveling at 2 times the speed of sound?

2. Relevant equations
    KE = 1/2 mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I am just get mixed up on words. If they were the same weight the plane going twice as fast would have 4 times the kinetic energy. (v=2^2=4).
    I think I am going the wrong direction. Would their kinetic energy be the same? Since plane two weight is half but double the speed. Help
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2008 #2
    E1 = (1/2)(m)(v^2)

E2 =(1/2)(0.5m)(2v^2)
    E2 =(.5)(2^2)(1/2*m*v^2)
    E2 =(.5)(2^2)(E1)
    E2 = 2E1

I think you multiplied the final 2 by the half that is in the equation for kinetic energy.
  4. Feb 2, 2008 #3
    Since the kinetic energy depends on the speed _squared_, doubling the speed will have more effect than doubling the mass. Try calculating both KE's.
  5. Feb 2, 2008 #4
    I think I have it. Plane two will have the higher KE since KE is quadrupled with increase in speed. The weight is a factor but not as much as speed. Thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?