1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy

1. Jan 18, 2004 #1
    The question is:

If a sprinter running at 10 meters per second could convert his
    kinetic energy into upward motion, how high could he jump?

How do I solve this if I use the KE = 1/2 mv^2

I dont know what the mass is?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Imagine all of that kinetic energy converted into gravitational potential energy. If you solve for the height, I think you'll find that the mass of the sprinter cancels out.
  4. Jan 18, 2004 #3
    So are you saying I should:

1/2 mv^2 = mgh
    1/2 v^2/g=h

The text book I have in no way explains this, if this is correct
    where can I get other sources of help on physics
  5. Jan 18, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I wouldn't expect your textbook to explain exactly the solution to this problem, especially if it is an exercise from there. As long as it explains about kinetic and potential energy, I wouldn't be too worried. The problem asks about an isolated "what-if" situation. What if instead of running at 10m/s, the sprinter jumped with an initial upward velocity of 10 m/s. I don't think there's anything more to read into the problem than that (which is why I don't think it's a problem if your textbook doesn't say anything about situations like this).
  6. Jan 19, 2004 #5
    Thanks, I was searching for an answer that I would never find.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?