1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1
    okay, i tried searching knietic energy and it wont come up,
    soooo here's a questions:

a force of 40 N continues to push a 5 kg box and acclerates it a .70 m/s/s what is the coefficient of friction/

i got the static because it wasn't movingm, but i have no idiea how to get that please help
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

First, tell us what was the net force acting on the body.
  4. Jan 2, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This problem has nothing to do with kinetic energy! As shooting star said (I seem to spending the day right behind him!), it is entirely a matter of force. What is the net force on the body? Also I have no idea what you mean by "I got the static because it wasn't moving". What wasn't moving? What "static"?
  5. Jan 3, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Do you by chance mean you "get" the case for static friction? Anyway, reply to our questions if you want to understand the problem.
  6. Jan 3, 2008 #5
    if the acceleration is .7 m/s^2, and the box has a mass of five kilograms, Newton will only take a second to tell you the net force on the box.

Of course, if there's a difference between the applied force and the net force, there must be another force acting on the box. This is where you'll find your kinetic friction.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?