Where Does Absorbed Kinetic Energy Go?

In summary, when kinetic energy is absorbed by an object, it is transformed into a combination of deformation, potential energy, and internal energy, and possibly a bit of sound energy. This means that the object will have increased potential energy and its molecules will have increased random motion, while also potentially causing some deformation and creating sound.
tpluss
We all know the theory that energy never dies, that it is only transformed into a different type of energy.
Well, I was wondering, when kinetic energy is absorbed by an item, what happens to the energy? If the kinetic energy is not transferred to the object, but absorbed, then where does the energy go?

Physics news on Phys.org
deformation or potential energy

I'm not sure what you mean by kinetic energy being "absorbed". Kinetic energy is the energy of movement.

Snazzy said:
I'm not sure what you mean by kinetic energy being "absorbed". Kinetic energy is the energy of movement.

If an item that has kinetic energy impacts something with no kinetic energy and the item that is impacted does not move, then the kinetic energy is absorbed.

In other words: If a boulder is falling off of a cliff and it hits a gigantic mass of marshmallows, the marshmallows would absorb the boulder's remaining kinetic energy causing the boulder to stop.

So tell me, what happened to that absorbed kinetic energy?
I do not think it becomes potential energy because potential energy is characterized by how much an object is prone to have kinetic energy (or how much an object is prone to fall down).

The macroscopic KE will be transformed into a combination of deformation, potential energy, and internal energy (random motion of the molecules). (And maybe even a bit of sound energy.)

Doc Al said:
The macroscopic KE will be transformed into a combination of deformation, potential energy, and internal energy (random motion of the molecules). (And maybe even a bit of sound energy.)

That was a really good description, I think that answers my question well enough. :D

1. Where does absorbed kinetic energy go?

Absorbed kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal energy, sound energy, or potential energy. It can also be dissipated into the surrounding environment through friction or other forces.

2. How is absorbed kinetic energy different from potential energy?

Absorbed kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. Absorbed kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa.

3. Can absorbed kinetic energy be lost or disappear?

No, the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted into different forms. So absorbed kinetic energy cannot simply disappear, it is always conserved in some form.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the amount of absorbed kinetic energy?

The mass of an object affects the amount of absorbed kinetic energy because the kinetic energy is directly proportional to the mass of the object. This means that the more massive an object is, the more kinetic energy it will have when in motion.

5. What factors determine how much energy is absorbed by an object?

The amount of energy absorbed by an object depends on several factors, including the mass and velocity of the object, the material it is interacting with, and the duration of the interaction. Other factors such as surface area, temperature, and coefficient of friction can also play a role in determining the amount of energy absorbed.