Calculating Total Kinetic Energy After Explosion

In summary: Then add the x component of velocity in. In summary, to find the total kinetic energy in the system, you need to consider both the vertical and horizontal components of velocity. Use the equations for kinematics to determine the velocity of the first piece, and then add the horizontal velocity to it. Once you have the total velocity, you can use the equation for kinetic energy to find the total kinetic energy in the system.
Grogerian

Homework Statement

Find the total kinetic energy in the system. a explosion fires two pieces both 7.3m high and 11.2m horizontally total kinetic energy done by the explosion the first piece is 15kg, the second 26kg?

Homework Equations

kinematics
Ke=1/2(mv2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that Vi(y) = [tex]\sqrt{2(9.81)(-7.3)}[/tex] = 11.96 m/s do i just use this to find the total energy done? or do i need to consider the x-dir as well, If so how do i do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Grogerian said:

Homework Statement

Find the total kinetic energy in the system. a explosion fires two pieces both 7.3m high and 11.2m horizontally total kinetic energy done by the explosion the first piece is 15kg, the second 26kg?

I found that Vi(y) = [tex]\sqrt{2(9.81)(-7.3)}[/tex] = 11.96 m/s do i just use this to find the total energy done? or do i need to consider the x-dir as well, If so how do i do that?

Hi Grogerian!

The KE depends on the total speed, as you know, so Vy is obviously not enough unless Vx is zero.

(but I can't help any furher, as I don't understand the question. :redface:)

Grogerian said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

kinematics
Ke=1/2(mv2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Velocity is the sum of the components, so yes, you do need to determine the x component.

Since you can figure the time to drop 7.3m from the peak and you know that will be half the time of its flight, and you know that is 7.3m = 1/2 g*t2. Now you can figure how fast it was to go 11.3m.

1. What is the formula for calculating total kinetic energy after an explosion?

The formula for calculating total kinetic energy after an explosion is: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

2. How do you determine the mass of the object in the formula?

The mass of the object can be determined by using a scale or by using the known mass of the explosive material used in the explosion.

3. Can the velocity of the object be calculated after the explosion?

Yes, the velocity of the object can be calculated using the formula: v = √(2 * KE / m), where v is the velocity, KE is the kinetic energy, and m is the mass of the object.

4. What units should be used for the mass and velocity in the formula?

The mass should be measured in kilograms (kg) and the velocity should be measured in meters per second (m/s).

5. Is the total kinetic energy after an explosion affected by external factors?

Yes, the total kinetic energy after an explosion can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, friction, and the angle of the explosion. These factors may cause a decrease in the total kinetic energy.