Calculating Kinetic Energy for a Satellite Launch

In summary, the student attempted to solve a physics question by using the equation for escape velocity, and then using the necessary escape velocity, they found the minimum initial kinetic energy for the satellite to escape the planet's orbit. Finally, they subtracted this minimum energy from the actual initial energy given to the satellite to get the final answer.
alicia.kostka

Homework Statement

So I just finished a physics test and I'm not sure if I approached a question correctly... Our professor gave us the mass of a satellite, and the mass of an imaginary planet and its radius. Then he gave us the amount of initial kinetic energy given to the satellite when launched. His question was "how much kinetic energy will the satellite have when its very very very far away?" (Assuming no other planet or star is exerting a gravitational force on it)

The Attempt at a Solution

The approach I took was as follows... I used the equation for escape velocity v=[tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]2GM/r ...then using the necessary escape velocity, I used 1/2mv^2 I found the minimum initial kinetic energy for the satellite to escape the planet's orbit. Finally, I subtracted this minimum energy from the actual initial energy given to the satellite to get the final answer.

Does this sound right?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi alicia! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

yes, that's correct :smile:

i think you're confused because you're using escape velocity instead of going back to the basics of KE and PE …

escape velocity is the speed (!) ve needed to reach r = ∞ at speed zero

so, since PE is defined as zero, KE + PE = KEr + PEr, ie 0 + 0 = 1/2 mve2 + PEr,

and if v0 > ve, then KE = KEr + PEr = KEr - 1/2 mve2 :wink:

Thanks! I think that's ultimately what I did...I ended up subtracting 1/2mve2 from the initial kinetic energy given to the satellite when it was on the surface of the planet. I just didn't do it very elegantly. Sometimes I have to play around with equations before I know what I want to do!

hi alicia! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

that's fine … playing around is often a good way of solving things, but (if you have time in the exams) always try to squeeze out the extra couple of marks by making it elegant! :wink:

think "elegant, not elephant!" :biggrin:

Yes, your approach is correct. The key concept here is conservation of energy. The initial kinetic energy given to the satellite is equal to the sum of its potential energy and kinetic energy at any point in its orbit. As the satellite moves away from the planet, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. At a very far distance, the potential energy becomes negligible and the kinetic energy becomes equal to the initial kinetic energy given to the satellite. So, your approach of using the equation for escape velocity to find the minimum initial kinetic energy and then subtracting it from the actual initial energy given is a valid way to calculate the final kinetic energy. Good job!

1. How do you calculate the kinetic energy for a satellite launch?

The kinetic energy for a satellite launch can be calculated by using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the satellite and v is its velocity.

2. What units are used to measure kinetic energy for a satellite launch?

The standard unit for kinetic energy is joules (J). However, for larger objects such as satellites, it is common to use megajoules (MJ) or gigajoules (GJ).

3. How does the angle of launch affect the kinetic energy of a satellite?

The angle of launch does not affect the kinetic energy of a satellite, as long as the initial velocity and mass remain the same. However, it may impact the trajectory and overall success of the launch.

4. Can the kinetic energy of a satellite be changed during its flight?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a satellite can be changed during its flight. This can occur due to external forces such as gravity, air resistance, and propulsion systems.

5. Why is calculating kinetic energy important for a satellite launch?

Calculating kinetic energy is important for a satellite launch because it helps engineers determine the required velocity and thrust needed for a successful launch. It also allows for the prediction of potential hazards and trajectory changes during flight.