Kinetic energy of massless spring

In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum kinetic energy of a 2.0kg mass on a compressed spring. The formula KE=1/2mv^2 is mentioned and the potential energy of the spring is calculated using U=mgh. The relationship between potential and kinetic energy is discussed, and it is determined that the potential energy will be converted into kinetic energy once the spring is released. The equation E_k = E_p is used to solve for the velocity and then the kinetic energy can be calculated.
Flinthill84
Alright I'm having a little trouble on this one...

One end of a massless spring is welded to a flat surface; the other end points upward. A mass of 2.0kg is set on top of the spring. The spring is then compressed by hand so that the end of the spring is 42cm lower than the position of the spring with no mass on top. The spring is then seddenly released. What is the maximum kinetic energy of the 2.0kg mass??

I think i use the formula KE=1/2mv^2, if that is true could anyone give me a hint on how to find the velocity please? Thankyou!

Physics news on Phys.org
The spring will have some potential energy. This potential energy will all be converted into kinetic energy for the block. You need to find out how much potential the spring has.

ok so the potential energy would be U=mgh which would be (2.0kg)(9.8m/s^2)(-0.42m)...but I guess I still don't understand how this plays into the kinetic energy?

Last edited:
^ conservation of energy? every joule of potential energy being converted into kinetic energy.

just equate [tex] E_k = E_p [/tex]

so mgh=1/2mv62 and then I could solve for v and finally solve for kinetic energy?? Or are you saying that the amount of potential energy that I found is the amount of kinetic energy?

Last edited:

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is a form of energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the energy an object has due to its mass and velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity.

3. What is a massless spring?

A massless spring is a theoretical concept used in physics to simplify calculations involving springs. It is a spring with zero mass, meaning that its weight can be ignored in calculations.

4. Can a spring have kinetic energy?

Yes, a spring can have kinetic energy if it is in motion. When a massless spring is stretched or compressed, it stores potential energy. As the spring returns to its original shape, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

5. How does the kinetic energy of a massless spring change?

The kinetic energy of a massless spring changes depending on its velocity. As the spring moves faster, its kinetic energy increases. Similarly, as it slows down, its kinetic energy decreases. This change in kinetic energy is due to the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy and vice versa as the spring oscillates.