Solving for Displacement on a 25° Incline w/ Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance a sled moves up a 25° incline with an initial speed of 3.5 m/s and a combined mass of 17.0 kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.20 and the person is unsure of how to incorporate the incline angle into their calculations. They mention trying to use kinematic equations and the formula for kinetic energy, but were left without the time needed to solve. They also consider using the formula for displacement and mention the possibility of using the work and energy method. The correct solution involves accounting for the component of weight along the incline.
hshphyss
Can anyone help me with this?

In a circus performance, a monkey on a sled is given an initial speed of 3.5 m/s up a 25° incline. The combined mass of the monkey and the sled is 17.0 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the incline is 0.20. How far up the incline does the sled move?

I tried using the kinematic equations to find out the displacement. But I was left without the time. I know that KE= .5 x mass x velocity^2 but that isn't going to help me find out the displacement. I was also unsure of where to incorporate the incline angle. Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
hshphyss said:
Can anyone help me with this?
In a circus performance, a monkey on a sled is given an initial speed of 3.5 m/s up a 25° incline. The combined mass of the monkey and the sled is 17.0 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the incline is 0.20. How far up the incline does the sled move?

I tried using the kinematic equations to find out the displacement. But I was left without the time. I know that KE= .5 x mass x velocity^2 but that isn't going to help me find out the displacement. I was also unsure of where to incorporate the incline angle. Thank-you
You have the initial velocity... 3.5m/s
friction co-eff... = 0.2
Ff = -0.2FN
You know that Fn is mgcos theta (Draw an FBD)
ma = - 0.2 mgcos 25
a = -0.2gcos25
To find displacement, use the formula:
v^2 = u^2 + 2as
And solve for s...
You have u, initial velocity, and v, final velocity. (= 0)
And a...

You can solve this problem using either the kinematic eqns or by energy conservation method.

Using the kinematic eqns, you could have used the eqn,
v² = u² - 2as
where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the deceleration, s is the distance travelled.

to the a= -1.78 and the equation would be
n 0^2=3.5^2+2(-1.78)x and it would come out to 3.45 but that answer is not correct when I enter into the answer checker

better not forget gravity!

knowing (or wanting to know) distances is a task for Work & Energy.
At the bottom, we have KE, while at the top we have PE_gravity.
The process has friction force (m g cos(theta)) doing negative Work.
Distance along the ramp is related to height uo the ramp by trig.

The acceleration is not 1.78 m/s^2. (Pseudo Statistic's answer ignored the component of weight acting down the incline.)

1. How do I determine the displacement on a 25° incline using kinetic energy?

To solve for displacement on a 25° incline using kinetic energy, you will need to know the mass of the object, the angle of the incline, and the initial and final velocities. You can then use the equation displacement = (final velocity² - initial velocity²) / 2 * acceleration * sin(angle) to calculate the displacement.

2. What is the significance of the 25° incline in this problem?

The 25° incline is the angle at which the object is moving along. This angle affects the acceleration of the object and must be taken into account when calculating the displacement using kinetic energy.

3. Can I use other methods to solve for displacement on a 25° incline?

Yes, you can also use the principles of trigonometry to determine the displacement on a 25° incline. By breaking down the initial and final velocities into their horizontal and vertical components, you can use the equations displacement = (final horizontal velocity - initial horizontal velocity) * time and displacement = (final vertical velocity - initial vertical velocity) * time - 1/2 * gravity * time² to calculate the displacement.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the displacement on a 25° incline?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the displacement on a 25° incline. However, it does affect the acceleration of the object, which is a key factor in determining the displacement using kinetic energy.

5. Can I use this method to solve for displacement on any incline angle?

Yes, this method can be used to solve for displacement on any incline angle. You will just need to adjust the equation to account for the specific angle of the incline. The key factor is to include the angle in the calculation of acceleration.