1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic engery

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    Im wondering how do we know when to substract Kinetic engery from potential engery or when do we add them?

Is that making sense?

question is asking:
    a women skis downhill at a constant speed of 8.0 m/s when she reaches an icy patch on which her skis move with negligible friction. If the icy patch is 10 m high, what is the skier's speed at its bottom?

the book says to use this formula:
    KE2=KE1 + PE

why are adding kinetic and potential together? I understand how to manipulate the equaiton to solve for speed but why are we using this formula?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2
    The sum forms the total (mechanical) energy. In the absense of friction, it's a contant (conservation of energy). Since it doesn't matter where the "zero" of potential energy is, assume the skier has P.E = 0 at the bottom of the icy patch.
  4. Oct 4, 2006 #3
    still lost...

When does it matter about the ZERO potential engery?
  5. Oct 4, 2006 #4
    Did you read the page I linked to?
  6. Oct 4, 2006 #5
    DUhhh... sure didnt.. I thought that was an underline.. BRB :)
  7. Oct 4, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

On a given side, you will have the potential&kinetic energy for the same instant summed together.
  8. Oct 4, 2006 #7
    ahhhh.... its amazing what happens with the light bulb comes on!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?