What was the speed of the Toyota at impact in this collision?

In summary, a 1.0x10^3 kg Toyota traveling at an unknown speed collides with a 2.2x10^3 kg Cadillac stopped at a red light. The two cars skid forward 2.8m before stopping, and the police officer needs to calculate the speed of the Toyota at impact. Using the formula for momentum conservation and assuming the two cars instantly lock up and decelerate at the rate of the coefficient of friction between the tires and road, the initial speed can be related to the distance traveled before stopping.
camero33
Need help!

A 1.0x10^3 kg Toyota collides into the rear end of a 2.2x10^3 kg Cadillac stopped at a red light. The bumpers lock, the brakes are locked, and the two cars skid forward 2.8m before stopping. The police officer, knowing that the coefficient of Kinectic friction between the tires and road is 0.40, calculates the speed of the Toyota at impact. What was that speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly what have you tried so far?

HINT: Momentum is conserved!

ok i tried using this formula:
m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2) v(final)
m1v2 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2) times the square root of 2gd (gravity and distance)
then i isolated for v1 but i don't know how to apply the coefficient of friction to the problem...

I think you need to assume that the two cars instantly lock up and become a single object when the collision occurs (i.e. ignore the "crumple zone" and assume the vehicles cover no distance while becoming locked together.)

The combined system decelerates at the rate [itex]\mu g[/itex] (frictional force divided by mass) so you can relate the initial speed to the distance traveled before stopping with

[tex]V_0 = \sqrt {2 \mu g d}[/tex]

You also know that

[tex]V_0 = \frac {m_1 v_1}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]

1. What is kinetic friction in a car?

Kinetic friction in a car refers to the resistance or force that opposes the motion of a car as it moves along a surface. It is caused by the interaction between the tires of the car and the surface it is moving on, and it can affect the car's speed and acceleration.

2. How does kinetic friction affect a car's performance?

Kinetic friction can decrease a car's speed and acceleration, making it harder for the car to move and requiring more energy from the engine. It can also cause wear and tear on the tires and decrease fuel efficiency.

3. What factors influence the amount of kinetic friction in a car?

The amount of kinetic friction in a car is influenced by factors such as the type and condition of the tires, the weight of the car, the surface it is moving on, and the speed at which it is moving.

4. How can kinetic friction be reduced in a car?

Kinetic friction can be reduced in a car by using tires with less tread, keeping the tires properly inflated, and regularly rotating the tires to ensure even wear. Additionally, using a lubricant on the tires and the surface of the road can decrease the amount of friction.

5. How is kinetic friction calculated in a car?

Kinetic friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction (a constant that depends on the materials in contact) by the normal force (the force exerted by the surface on the car). This will give the amount of force resisting the car's motion due to kinetic friction.