1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic friction coefficient

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 4.94 kg block located on a horizontal floor is pulled by a cord that exerts a force F = 12.1 N at an angle θ = 15.0° above the horizontal, as shown in the Figure.

The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the floor is 0.100. What is the speed of the block 3.70 s after it starts moving?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand to find the acceleration I need F=ma, so cos(15)12.1 = 4.94(a).
    And I know that when I find the (a), I can just * the 3.7 seconds. I just don't know where to fit in the kinetic friction of 0.1. I'm guessing it has to be minus from the total F but something isn't going right, any ideas, thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2
    Erm not exactly...draw the free body diagram and resolve the x and y component of the force applied and you can find the static friction by using uN where u is static coefficient and N is the normal force on the block.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook