Kinetic Friction homework help

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student needing help with a homework problem involving a crate being pushed across a level floor. The student is struggling to understand the concepts and laws that apply and is asking for guidance. The expert reminds the student that showing effort and understanding of the problem is necessary in order to receive help. The expert also prompts the student to consider the role of forces and the coefficient of friction in solving the problem.
physicsma1391
I need some serious help with my homework.
I have no idea how to solve the following problem:

A 925 N crate is being pushed across a level floor by a force F of 325 N at and angle of 25 degrees above the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and floor is 0.25. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the crate.

Please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show some work to get help here.

If you haven't got far enough to do calculations, then at least give some thoughts on the problem. What concepts do you think apply? What laws can be used here?

i have no clue! my teacher never bothered to teach our class anything about this!

These forums are not here to help you get others to do your homework, but to get help with your homework. You have to show that you put some thought into the problem to get help here. You can't possibly know NOTHING about the problem. Have you read the section in the book on friction? Have you read the chapter on forces? You must have talked about these topics at least a tiny bit in class. Try to answer these questions to get started on the problem:

1)You are given forces and want to find the acceleration of a system. How do you find the acceleration of a system from the forces on it?

2)How does knowing the coefficient of friction help you find the friction force?

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces that are in contact and sliding against each other. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces and the interlocking of the irregularities.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that occurs when two surfaces are already in motion, while static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from moving when they are in contact but not yet in motion.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic friction?

The magnitude of kinetic friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force between the surfaces, and the relative speed of the surfaces.

4. How is kinetic friction calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic friction is Fk = μkN, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force between the surfaces.

5. How can kinetic friction be reduced?

Kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants between the surfaces, using smoother materials for the surfaces, and reducing the normal force between the surfaces.