How Is Initial Velocity Calculated in Kinetic Friction Problems?

In summary, the skier initially had a velocity of 2.384 m/s before coming to rest after sliding for a distance of 29 m on the snow with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.010. This was calculated using the Work Energy Theorem and the kinematic equation for initial velocity, taking into account the force of friction and displacement. The final mass of the skier does not need to be known.
IAmSparticus
1. A skier slides horizontally along the snow for a distance of 29 m before coming to rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the skier and the snow is µk = 0.010. Initially, how fast was the skier going?

2. f kinetic = Coeff. of friction * Normal Force
Work Energy Theorem = (1/2 mass * Final Velocity^2)-(1/2 mass * Initial Velocity^2)

3. In the WET, the masses cancel out, I get an equation of Initial Velocity^2= 2Final Velocity ^2.

Only problem is the final velocity is zero so I get an initial velocity of zero as well, but that's is impossible...

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, "Work Energy Theorem" is the name of a theorem, not some physical quantity, so it makes no sense to write, work energy theorem = 'blah.' The work energy theorem is a theorem which *states* that:

work done = change in kinetic energy.

And no, you don't get an equation which states that initial velocity^2 = final velocity^2. You should be more careful with your algebra.

If

W = 1/2m(v_f)^2 - 1/2m(v_i)^2)

then you get the result that:

m* [ (v_f)^2 - (v_i)^2 ] = 2W

and since v_f = 0,

m*(v_i)^2 = 2W

You know that in this case, the work (W) was being done by friction, which allows you to calculate it.

So how would I calculate it without the mass? We know how far it travels and the coefficient of Kinetic Friction, but not the mass.

How would you calculate W, the work done by friction? That will make the answer to your question clear.

Two accelerations are acting on the skier. They are in the opposite direction. One due to gravitation, and another due to friction. Find the net acceleration. Using kinematic equation, find the initial velocity.

Work is equal to force times displacement, and the force of friction is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction times the normal force (which is equal to mass times gravity). But I'm still confused how I would get it without having the mass.

And thank you for helping me out, I'm really struggling with this stuff and my algebra isn't that great...

rl.bhat said:
Two accelerations are acting on the skier. They are in the opposite direction. One due to gravitation, and another due to friction. Find the net acceleration. Using kinematic equation, find the initial velocity.

No, the skier is not on an incline. Try not to confuse the OP. The skier is merely being decelerated to rest from some initial velocity due to a frictional force. To find the initial velocity, all the OP has to do is calculate the work done by friction and equate it to the initial KE. That's it.

IAmSparticus said:
Work is equal to force times displacement, and the force of friction is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction times the normal force (which is equal to mass times gravity).

Exactly right. The mass appears in the expression for the work done as well. Which is why it cancels from both sides of the equation.

cepheid said:
No, the skier is not on an incline. Try not to confuse the OP. The skier is merely being decelerated to rest from some initial velocity due to a frictional force. To find the initial velocity, all the OP has to do is calculate the work done by friction and equate it to the initial KE. That's it.
Sorry.

Work is equal to force times displacement, and the force of friction is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction times the normal force (which is equal to mass times gravity).

So the equation would look like m*(v_i)^2 = 2 (m * g) but then since the masses cancel, the equation would then be Vi^2 = 2 g?

IAmSparticus said:

So the equation would look like m*(v_i)^2 = 2 (m * g) but then since the masses cancel, the equation would then be Vi^2 = 2 g?

Don't forget the coefficient of kinetic friction (mu) on the right hand side, as well as the displacement. You definitely have the right idea though.

So Vi = Square root (2*g*Coeff. of friction*displacement)?

Which I get to be Vi = Square root (5.684) which equals 2.384 m/s?

IAmSparticus said:
So Vi = Square root (2*g*Coeff. of friction*displacement)?

Which I get to be Vi = Square root (5.684) which equals 2.384 m/s?
How did you get the equation - Vi= Square root (2*g*Coeff. of friction*displacement?

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides across a surface.

2. How does the kinetic friction of a skier affect their speed?

The kinetic friction of a skier can slow down their speed due to the frictional force acting in the opposite direction of their motion.

3. What factors can affect the kinetic friction of a skier?

The factors that can affect the kinetic friction of a skier include the type of surface they are skiing on, the weight of the skier, and the speed of the skier.

4. How can the kinetic friction of a skier be reduced?

The kinetic friction of a skier can be reduced by using a smoother surface, waxing the skis, or reducing the weight of the skier.

5. Why is understanding the kinetic friction of a skier important?

Understanding the kinetic friction of a skier is important because it can affect their overall speed and performance while skiing. It can also help in making adjustments to improve their technique and reduce the risk of injury.