How Does Kinetic Friction Affect Block Acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 425 g block at rest on a horizontal surface, with coefficients of static and kinetic friction of .770 and .220, respectively. A force P is applied at an angle of 40° to the block, and the acceleration of the block is found to be 4165.001 + .001P. When P is equal to 11.13 N, the acceleration is 14.206 m/s^2 and the frictional force exerted on the block is 2.156 N. The minimum acceleration for the block is found by minimizing the equation using calculus.
chocolatelover

Homework Statement

A 425 g block is at rest on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the surface is .770, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is .220. A force of magnitude P pushes the block forward and downward. Assume the force is aplied at an angle of 40°

a. Assuming P is large enought to made the block move, find the acceleration of the block as a function of P (Use P as necessary and round numbers to the third decimal place)

b. If P=11.13 N and then P=22.26, find the accelerations and the frictional forces exerted on the block

c. What is the minimum acceleration for the block when P is a minimum and motion is just ready to begin?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. ΣFx=Pcosθ -f=ma
ΣFxy=N-mg-Psinθ=0

f=μN

Pcosθ-μΝ=ma

Pcosθ-μ(mg+sinθ)=ma

(cosθ/m)P-mg+(μsinθ/m)P

-mg+μsinθ/m +(cosθ/m)P=a

(-425g)(9.8m/s^2)+(.220sin40/425g)+(cos40/424)P=a

a=4165.001+.001P

b. P=11.13

a=4165.001+.001(11.13N)

f=μΝ
N=(4165.012)(11.13)+425g(9.8m/s^2)

c. For part c. I was thinking about using Calculus to minimize the equation, would that work?

Could someone please tell me if this is correct so far and if it isn't could you please show me what to do?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Could someone please tell me if this looks correct?

a.
μs=.770
μk=.220

ΣFx=max

ΣFx=Pcos40-f
f=μkN
may=0
0=Σfy=N-mg-Py
=N-mg-Psin40
=Pcos40-[.220(mg+Psin40)]
ΣFx=max
Pcos40-.220(mg+psin40)=max
pcos40/.425kg-.220(.425(9.8)+psin40)/.425=ax
1.47p-2.155=ax

b.P=11.13N
1.47(11.13N)-2.155=ax
ax=14.206m/s^2

f=μkN

=.220(9.8m/s^2)
f=2.156

c. I would then do the same thing for part c, right?

Thank you very much

Last edited:
for your help.

I would say that your approach to solving the problem is correct. You have correctly applied the equations for Newton's second law and the forces acting on the block. Your calculations for part a and b are also correct.

For part c, using calculus to minimize the equation is a valid approach. You can also use the fact that at the point where the block is just about to move, the net force acting on it is zero. This means that the force applied (P) is equal to the maximum static friction force (μN). So you can set P equal to μN and solve for the minimum acceleration.

Overall, your solution is well-thought-out and correct. Great job!

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces are in motion relative to each other. It is also known as sliding friction.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces are in motion, while static friction is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces are at rest and trying to move relative to each other.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic friction?

The magnitude of kinetic friction is affected by the types of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

4. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the magnitude of the kinetic friction force by the normal force between the two surfaces in contact.

5. How can kinetic friction be reduced?

Kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the two surfaces in contact. Smoother surfaces can also help reduce kinetic friction. Additionally, reducing the force pressing the surfaces together can also decrease the magnitude of kinetic friction.