1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic friction problems

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1
    I am trying to create a 3d physics simulation and the first "problem" I have encountered is implementing realistic friction. Now, I was told by some professor that the faster an object is traveling the less friction that it has, however, I have not been able to find the appropriate equation/s on the net. I know the basic friction equation, F=uN. However, this is only useful for static applications; I need to learn the formula for kinetic friction, and how to apply it to non-static variables (eg. speed-=frictionequation.)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

In the usual ("standard" or Coulomb) model for dry friction between surfaces, kinetic friction is given by [itex]\mu_k N[/itex] and is independent of velocity. When you start adding in air resistance you'll quickly get speed-dependent forces.

4. Mar 10, 2008 #3
    So your saying that professor I mentioned was incorrect? At least this makes coding easier.

By the way, I am making rolling sphere physics.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  5. Mar 10, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Why don't you ask the professor what he meant?

6. Mar 10, 2008 #5
    Can't, I talked with him last at a science convention overseas.

7. Mar 10, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Then pick up any freshman physics book and read what it says about kinetic friction.

8. Mar 10, 2008 #7
    Yeah yeah I'm not in school anymore though and the library's a long walk...google doesn't really count...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook