How Far Do Dishes Move During a Tablecloth Trick?

In summary, the problem involves a magician pulling a tablecloth from under some dishes and determining how far the dishes move in .25 seconds. The coefficient of kinetic friction is given as 0.12 and the time is .25 seconds, but the mass and weight are not provided. By drawing a free body diagram and applying Newton's laws, it is possible to solve the problem without knowing the mass. The key factor needed is the acceleration, which can then be used to find the distance.
bhatch1

Homework Statement

A magician pulls a tablecloth from under some dishes, how far do the dishes move during the.25s it takes the table cloth out? Coefficient of kinetic friction=0.12 and time=.25s I can't find the solution to this prob. in fact I don't know where to start because I don't have mass or weight.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
bhatch1 said:

Homework Statement

A magician pulls a tablecloth from under some dishes, how far do the dishes move during the.25s it takes the table cloth out? Coefficient of kinetic friction=0.12 and time=.25s I can't find the solution to this prob. in fact I don't know where to start because I don't have mass or weight.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Try drawing a free body diagram of the forces acting on the dishes. By applying Newton's laws, you may find that you don't need to know the mass.

Thanks you I figured it out all I needed was acceleration, and then then I found the distance.

What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact and moving relative to each other. It is caused by microscopic irregularities on the surface of the objects.

How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion between two surfaces that are already in motion, while static friction is the force that resists the initial motion between two surfaces that are at rest.

What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic friction?

The magnitude of kinetic friction is affected by the types of surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. It also depends on the speed and temperature of the moving surfaces.

How is kinetic friction measured?

Kinetic friction is typically measured using a device called a force sensor, which measures the force required to keep an object moving at a constant velocity on a given surface.

What are some real-life examples of kinetic friction?

Some examples of kinetic friction in everyday life include sliding a book across a desk, pushing a shopping cart, and walking on the ground. It is also a factor in activities such as skiing, ice skating, and driving a car.