How Do You Calculate the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction in a Skiing Problem?

In summary, the problem involves a skier starting from rest on a 17 degree inclined hill and skiing 100 m down before stopping on level snow. The question is to find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the skis and the snow, as well as the skier's velocity at the bottom of the hill. The skier's position on the hill and level ground can be represented as functions of velocity. There is only one unknown in the equation involving the skier's energy at the bottom of the hill, making it easy to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction.
eku_girl83
kinetic friction -- toughie!

Problem:
A skier weighing 90 kg starts from rest down a hill inclined at 17 degrees. He skis 100 m down the hill and then coasts for 70 m along level snow until he stops. FIne the coefficient of kinetic friction between the skis and the snow. What velocity does the skier have at the bottom of the hill?

I can find the position of the skier down the hill as a function of velocity. I can also find the position of the skier along the level ground as a function of velocity (I think I have this part of the problem right). I get x = (v^2)/(g sin 17 - uk cos 17) for the motion on the hill and x = -v^2/(uk g) for the motion on the level snow. But I'm struggling with how to solve for v at the bottom of the hill and uk (coefficient of kinetic friction)! Please help! Your input is GREATLY appreciated :)

According to the answer given in the book, I should get uk=.18 and v at bottom of hill = 15.6 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
If we assume that friction acts during his descent as well, then the equation would be:

Energy at bottom of hill = Initial Potential Energy - Wfriction(during descent) = Wfriction(70m level: energy it took to stop him)

Do you agree?

Would you now like to try expressing all three terms in terms of the variables we do know or are of our interest? (i.e. mass, height ~ Lsin17, coefficient of friction) You will find easily that there is only 1 unknown in this equation =)

bump to an old problem,

but i am missing something big here.

energy at the bottom of the hill is 1/2 * m * v^2 right?

Initial Energy is mgh or 25787 or so, right?

w = F * d, or uk*distance, right?

plugging in the answers, energy at bottom of the hill is 10,951.2

so
10951.2 = 25787 - uk(100meters)

uk = 148.36

i am rusty, really really rusty...what am i missing?

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the resistance force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities and adhesion between the two surfaces.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are already in motion, while static friction occurs when two surfaces are at rest and attempting to move. The force of kinetic friction is typically smaller than static friction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic friction?

The magnitude of kinetic friction is affected by the type and roughness of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the speed at which the surfaces are moving.

4. How is kinetic friction measured and calculated?

Kinetic friction is typically measured using a device called a dynamometer, which measures the force required to keep an object moving at a constant speed. It can be calculated using the formula Fk = μkN, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

5. Can kinetic friction ever be completely eliminated?

In theory, yes. If two surfaces were perfectly smooth and there was no adhesion between them, there would be no kinetic friction. However, in real-world scenarios, some amount of kinetic friction will always be present due to microscopic imperfections and adhesion between surfaces.