1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic friction

1. Feb 10, 2004 #1
    5. The drawing shows a large cube (mass = 23 kg) being accelerated across a horizontal frictionless surface by a horizontal force P. A small cube (mass = 3.2 kg) is in contact with the front surface of the large cube and will slide downward unless P is sufficiently large. The coefficient of static friction between the cubes is 0.71. What is the smallest magnitude that P can have in order to keep the small cube from sliding downward?

I'm having trouble writing a force diagram. I know the formulas to use but I don't know which direction the forces are in. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Static friction, not kinetic

Give it a shot. Take each cube and write down all the forces acting on it. (Don't forget Newton's 3rd law.)

Hint: Besides the applied force P, I see three "kinds" of forces: weight, friction, and normal forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?