Calculating Kinetic Friction Coefficient with Object, Ruler and Book

In summary, the task is to find the coefficient of kinetic friction between an object and the surface using only the object, ruler, and book or table as the surface of motion. The angle between the book and table was increased until the object started sliding, and the coefficient of kinetic friction was found to be equal to the tangent of the angle. The angle \alpha is also the angle when the force Gx exceeds the maximum static friction, but it is unclear if this task is possible without measuring the mass of the object or the acceleration. The suggestion is to consider the energy lost or work done in the experiment to find a solution.
Jackpontikka
My teacher gave us a homework. We must count the coefficient of kinetic friction between the object and the surface. We can only use the object, ruler and book or table etc. as the surface of motion. We are not allowed to count the acceleration with clock.

I decided to make the object slide by increasing the angle between book(the surface) and table. Finally object started sliding and I measured the angle([tex]\alpha[/tex]). And finally I got: [tex]\mu[/tex]= tan[tex]\alpha[/tex].

Gx = sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]*G

Then I realized that the angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the angle when Gx>Ff0(read:the maximum of static friction)
But isn't Ff< Ff0.

So is this task even possible(without measuring the mass of the object or/and the acceleration) or what am I doing wrong?

P.S English isn't my first language! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Jackpontikka said:
My teacher gave us a homework. We must count the coefficient of kinetic friction between the object and the surface. We can only use the object, ruler and book or table etc. as the surface of motion. We are not allowed to count the acceleration with clock.

I decided to make the object slide by increasing the angle between book(the surface) and table. Finally object started sliding and I measured the angle([tex]\alpha[/tex]). And finally I got: [tex]\mu[/tex]= tan[tex]\alpha[/tex].

Gx = sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]*G

Then I realized that the angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the angle when Gx>Ff0(read:the maximum of static friction)
But isn't Ff< Ff0.

So is this task even possible(without measuring the mass of the object or/and the acceleration) or what am I doing wrong?

P.S English isn't my first language! :)

The task is possible with the items you have. You will not need the specific mass of the object as you are not looking for the specific frictional force.

Good job on finding the coefficient of static friction - you found the point by figuring out how to start motion. For kinetic friction, it may work better if you find out how to stop motion.

Depending on how you set things up, it may also help to consider the energy lost (or work done) in your experiment. Remember that potential energy = mass * acceleration (gravity) * height and that work = force * distance.

Keep working on it, you'll find a way to get the answer.

I would first commend you for taking an active approach to solving this problem and using your resources creatively. However, I must point out that your method may not yield accurate results.

The coefficient of kinetic friction is defined as the ratio of the force of kinetic friction (Ff) to the normal force (Fn) between the object and the surface. It is a property of the materials in contact and does not depend on the angle of inclination or acceleration.

In your method, you are using the angle of inclination and the force of gravity (G) to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction. However, this does not take into account the normal force, which is also a crucial factor in determining the coefficient of kinetic friction. Additionally, the maximum static friction force (Ff0) is not directly related to the kinetic friction force (Ff).

To accurately calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction, you would need to measure the mass of the object and the acceleration using a clock or other timing device. This would allow you to calculate the normal force and the kinetic friction force, from which you can then determine the coefficient of kinetic friction.

In conclusion, while your approach may yield a rough estimate of the coefficient of kinetic friction, it is not a reliable or accurate method. To obtain precise results, it is necessary to measure the mass and acceleration of the object.

What is kinetic friction coefficient?

Kinetic friction coefficient is a measure of the amount of force required to keep an object in motion against a surface. It is a dimensionless quantity, meaning it has no units.

How is kinetic friction coefficient calculated?

Kinetic friction coefficient is calculated by dividing the force required to keep an object in motion by the normal force, or the force perpendicular to the surface. This can be represented by the equation μk = Fk/N.

What materials do I need to calculate kinetic friction coefficient?

To calculate kinetic friction coefficient, you will need an object, a ruler, and a book. The object should be able to slide easily on the surface of the book, and the ruler should be long enough to measure the distance the object travels.

Why is it important to calculate kinetic friction coefficient?

Calculating kinetic friction coefficient can help determine the amount of force needed to keep an object in motion, which is important for understanding the physics of movement and designing machines and structures that require motion.

Are there any limitations to calculating kinetic friction coefficient with this method?

Yes, there are some limitations to using this method. The surface of the book may not be perfectly smooth, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, this method does not account for other factors that may affect friction, such as air resistance or the shape of the object.