Calculating Force and Thickness of a 8.0g Bullet Passing Through Wood

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces exerted on a bullet passing through a block of wood, as well as the thickness of the wood and the time it takes for a tortoise to catch up to a running bunny. The force exerted by the block on the bullet is 6000N, and the force exerted by the bullet on the block is -750,000m/s^2. The thickness of the wood is found to be 0.1m, and the time it takes for the tortoise to catch up to the bunny is 4.63 hours.
Hollysmoke
A 8.0g bullet traveling at 400m/s passes through a heavy block of wood in 4.0x10^-4s, emerging with a velocity of 100m/s. Ignore the motion of the wood.

1) What is the force exerted by the block on the bullet?
2) What is the force exerted by tbe bullet on the block?
3) How thick is the bullet?

I've gotten 1 and 2 but I have no idea how to solve the 3rd one. Can someone please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
a= -750,000m/s^2
F = 6000N

Just to save time

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the last question is a typo and that it should have read: How thick is the wood? :wink:

I really hope so, because the sheet says "bullet".

If Icalculate the wood, do I do the following:

v2^2=v1^2 + 2ad
100^2 -400^2 = 2(-750,000)d

d=0.1m

Looks good to me.

Also, for this question:

The Easter Bunny runs along a straight and narrow path with a constant speed of 25m/s. He passes a sleeping tortoise, which immediately starts to chase the bunny with a constant acceleration of 3x10^-3m/s^2. How long does it take to catch up to the bunny?

I did this:

v=dt
d=vt
d=25m/st

25t= 1/2(3.0x10^-3m/s^2)t^2
t = 16,667 seconds, or 4.63 hours.

Looks good. (Just be careful when you are writing up your steps--assuming you need to show your work. Don't write something like "v=dt" when you mean "v=d/t".)

Okay. Thanks for confirming my answers

1. How do you calculate the force of a bullet passing through wood?

The force of a bullet passing through wood can be calculated using the formula F = m x v, where F is the force, m is the mass of the bullet, and v is the velocity of the bullet. The mass of the bullet can be determined by weighing it, and the velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance the bullet traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. What is the thickness of wood required to stop an 8.0g bullet?

The thickness of wood required to stop an 8.0g bullet depends on the type of wood and the velocity of the bullet. However, on average, a thickness of 3-4 inches of solid wood should be sufficient to stop a bullet of this size.

3. Can the force of a bullet passing through wood be reduced?

Yes, the force of a bullet passing through wood can be reduced by decreasing the velocity of the bullet. This can be achieved by using a slower bullet or reducing the distance between the gun and the target.

4. How does the density of wood affect the force of a bullet passing through it?

The density of wood can affect the force of a bullet passing through it in two ways. Firstly, a denser wood will require more force to penetrate it. Secondly, a denser wood will also exert more force on the bullet, causing it to slow down more quickly and reducing its overall impact force.

5. What other factors can influence the force of a bullet passing through wood?

The force of a bullet passing through wood can also be influenced by the shape and composition of the bullet, as well as the angle of impact. Additionally, the type and condition of the wood can also play a role in determining the force required to penetrate it.