Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic or thermodynamic?

1. Feb 3, 2006 #1
    I have problem understanding
    what does mean when we talk about kinetic and thermodynamic stability of an oxide?
    Which process is related to the kinetic and which to the thermodynamically stability?
    Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2006 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At a certain temperature, the activation energy of a particular reaction or set of reactions in general of the oxide may be high, it is kinetically stable in that sense. The products of those reactions though, may be more stable in relevance to thermodynamic parameters such as enthalpy and free energy of the reaction (not the free energy of activation).

I don't have much experience with oxides besides, time of flight. Certain oxide/metal compositions are more stable than others, and this was based on a quantum level explanation, I'll need to find the link, just don't remember at the moment.

Stability is a rather vague concept because it's related to so many factors, but I'm guessing your question is in reference to an organic chemistry course or perhaps a particular physical chemistry lab assignment. Nitrogen is stable at room temperature in air, place it in a different context such as with different reactants and its stability is compromised.

4. Aug 14, 2006 #3
    Thank you!

5. Aug 14, 2006 #4
    So if a reaction that is thermodynamically favored may not occur due to it not being kinetically favored? For example if the activation energy is very high, then the reaction will not be observed even though the enthalpy of reaction and change in energy of the reaction is negative (products have less energy)?

6. Aug 14, 2006 #5
    Correct; consider the conversion of diamond to graphite at STP, (for example...)
    /6$#/5

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?