Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Theory and Thermophysical Properties

1. Feb 26, 2005 #1

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there any way to derive the viscosity [tex]\mu[/tex] of an ideal gas from kinetic theory?

Also: Is there any way to derive the mass diffusitivity [tex] D[/tex] of an ideal gas from kinetic theory?.

Another one: does it make sense to talk about the mass diffusivity of an individual gas (for instance [tex] D_i[/tex]), or such magnitude is always referred to a gaseous mixture (i.e [tex] D_{ij}[/tex])?.

Some web link of bibliography would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Apparently there is. Viscosity of a gas is interesting. It is entirely different than viscosity of liquids. Seems Maxwell was the first to derive it from kinetic theory. See: http://www.math.umd.edu/~lvrmr/History/Foundations.html

"In a gas, viscous force originates not in the forces between neighboring molecules but in the transfer of momentum that occurs when a molecule from a faster-moving stream wanders over to a slower-moving stream and collides with a molecule there. The rate of momentum transfer increases with the average molecular speed, so (1) the viscosity increases with temperature."

AM

4. Feb 26, 2005 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See Hirschfelder, Curtiss, and Bird, Molecular Theory of Gases and Liquids for the theoretical treatments --- it'll be in the library.

5. Feb 28, 2005 #4

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks both of you.

AM, I am looking for a formulation, not only the historical background of the stuff.

6. Mar 2, 2005 #5

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you very much Bystander. I have found what I was looking for in Hirschfelder's book.

7. Mar 2, 2005 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"The Green Monster" is the repository of all wisdom. You are welcome.

8. Mar 3, 2005 #7

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"The Green and Heavy Monster" by the way. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?