1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic theory for the molecular condensation flux

1. Oct 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Start with the kinetic theory formula for the molecular condensation flux, [tex]\Phi_cond[/tex] = 1/4 n_v*c_v, where n_v is the number density of vapor molecules just above a liquid water surface and c_v is the mean speed of the vapor molecules. Derive an expression for calculating the evaporation flux, [tex]\Phi_evap[/tex] in terms of the saturation vapor pressure of water e_s(T) at any given temperature T. The vapor may be treated as an ideal gas.

2. Relevant equations
    see above

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that [tex]\Phi_cond[/tex]=1/4 n_v *c_v = e/ (2[tex]\pi[/tex]m_v*k_b*T)^1/2.
    And that at equilibrium the evaporation flux and condensation flux are equal, but I know you can't say there equal here since it's for any time T. However, I have no idea how to get started. I would think you'd need to do a differential equation such as dn/dt is equal to the flux, but I'm not even sure how to get this set up. If someone could help, it would be greatly appreciated!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?