1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic theory of gases

1. Apr 21, 2006 #1
    Please give a hint to solve the following problem.
    # In order to double the separation between the molecules (keeping the temperature fixed), how many times the initial pressure should the final pressure be made?
    How do you relate intermolecular distance and pressure?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2006 #2
    I am guessing you need to relate intermolecular distance to volume first, then to pressure.
  4. Apr 22, 2006 #3

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sensou has the right idea. The average interparticle spacing will clearly be related to the density of the gas. You need to figure out the relationship between the two.
  5. Apr 23, 2006 #4
    When I searched the net, I came across the Lennard Jones plot of Energy verses intermolecular distance. In that it has been deduced that,
    Molar volume = (Nr^3)/C
    where N is Avogadro Number, r is intermolecular distance and C is a number which is dependent on the lattice coordination number. Will it be appropriate to use this expression? The symbol ^ represents power.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?